ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
In Australia POCOs uusually close spec their trannys,have seen older units rated at 2mva,to 100kva tolerate 200% overloads on winter evenings for 12hrs or more,these are oil cooled with fins,of corse chinese stuff wont cop this for very long.

Last edited by gfretwell; 12/05/13 01:29 PM. Reason: language
T
Ditto for American Pocos.

Transformers burn juice just at idle. An idle that runs 24/7 -- 365.

Consequently, every Poco I've known undersizes its transformers. It's a small matter to swap out to a larger unit -- since the pads and wires are pre-engineered to take a bump to the next rating up.

Normally, EUSERC Pocos use loop/ ring Primaries. This means that they can cut-out a given transformer by switching left and right -- and then hoist the old out and plop on a new one. You'd be surprised at how fast they can do this.

Star Primaries go even quicker.

Distribution losses -- in juice -- run beyond 10% of all power generated -- in most systems. So cutting that drain down is a BIG deal for all Pocos.

BTW, they monitor the loading on their system at every level constantly. It's the primary way that they spot cheats, too. Unmetered power pops up as a power drain akin to a bleeding hot, something that is looked for at all times.

The juice consumed by even one home would have any Poco tearing its hair out -- as kilowatts evaporating into the ground/ sky from one Primary loop/ star is too much to bear.

Tesla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard