ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Found the application for Certificate of Fitness in the State of Alaska http://labor.alaska.gov/lss/forms/cof-app.pdf

Looks like they want me to be enrolled in a federally approved apprenticeship program and a letter from my employer. (page 3)

Wow what a hassle.. I just want to go to work!

Mate,
The only way you are going to get a start is to unfortunately jump through their hoops. frown
You are going to need a bit of paper from the guy that is looking to take you on, otherwise the whole process stops right there.

I'm not talking union here, but is there an outfit over your way that shares trainee electricians around?
Quite a few electricians over here go with what we call ETCO (Electrical Training Company), they only take the best apprentices and the guys that go on this scheme learn the whole spectrum of electrical work, rather than just wiring houses and not having any industrial, motor or controls experience once it comes time to do the final exams.
David, I only wired 2-3 new houses during my time, most of it was industrial and commercial work, thankfully, this is where most of the money is these days, if you can get trained up in these 2 areas, you'll be set for life.

G
It does sound like a lot of hoops. I guess they are trying to discourage new people getting into their rice bowl.

Come to Florida, the weather is nicer and it is a right to work place. There are still plenty of hoops to get an EC license but you can work.

Greg Fretwell
H
When I was in business, the vocational schools always asked us to take on apprentices in order to get them into the trade and work them up from apprentice to journeyman and beyond. I was non union, and I had to have a set list of salary increases and what the apprentice could expect from my company. After 5-7 years, he should know enough to become a journeyman. (Emphases on "SHOULD"!) I don't know how it works anymore, been out of business for 15 years, but after 8 years in the field, you were able to try and take you contractor license.

S
It's not that difficult to "get in to the business" up here. Just like anywhere else, there will be good years and bad. The hardest part is staying committed in the lean times. Contractors need dedicated people. A hard find these days. If you really want to get in the trade, you will have to travel for it up here. Go where the work is. It is a career choice here. Contractors can't dictate a schedule. Most won't work around fishing season. It's a big investment to hire people and they expect a commitment.

You are not required to be enrolled in school by state law for your license. You are required 16 CEU's to renew your license. An employer may require enrollment but the state of Alaska does not

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard