ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
togol #211466 10/16/13 01:36 AM
B
Good point joe, I hadn't thought of that. I will take that advice. Thanks again Billy

togol #211467 10/16/13 03:29 PM
Billy:
To start a new thread:
Go to the top of this page
Click on the button that says "Topic Option"
Click on "New Thread"
Enter a subject & proceed...

You can do this from the top of any page, in any subject area.

If you 'mess up' one of the moderators will move, or correct what is necessary.

John
HotLine1 #211488 10/19/13 10:04 PM
Gee,
You guys have it easy over there! cool

On this side of the black stump, every electrician that certifies work that entails RCD's (GFI's) is required to test every RCD protected circuit and record the trip time and current on your Certificate of Compliance.
The proper tester for this costs an arm and a leg and maybe some fingers too.

As a quick test though when fault-finding, I use a solenoid type voltage indicator that draws about 240mA when you press the solenoid button on it.

Trumpy #211553 10/26/13 09:04 AM
T
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Gee,
You guys have it easy over there! cool

On this side of the black stump, every electrician that certifies work that entails RCD's (GFI's) is required to test every RCD protected circuit and record the trip time and current on your Certificate of Compliance.
The proper tester for this costs an arm and a leg and maybe some fingers too.

As a quick test though when fault-finding, I use a solenoid type voltage indicator that draws about 240mA when you press the solenoid button on it.

Same here. I paid €1000 for my tester and now I'm probably the only DIYer in the entire country that owns one (at least a new, recently calibrated one). And that was a budget model (though the top-notch one in this class), Flukes and Chauvin-Arnoux go up to €4k. There are €500 models too (or at least were when I bought mine last year) but they usually lack a few essential functions like earth resistance measuring.

I've got a 2-pole voltage tester that draws slightly over 30 mA in load mode (there's also a high-impedance mode that's handy for deciding whether an earth wire is connected at all without tripping the RCD). While not an acceptable tester, it's a farily good indicator that shows if the RCD works more or less like it should, provided it's a 30 mA. 100 mA and up don't trip at all and 10 mA are tested at well beyond their nominal fault current, so you can't really say whether they work properly.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard