ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Folks,
This area of the Forums has been so quiet for so long.

Having not had time to post much of anything here, due to a really heavy work-load (and working away from home) over the winter-late spring period of late.
I'm wondering, what's going on in your neck of the woods, electrical-wise?

About 2 weeks ago we had a large wind-storm down this way with lightning, that toppled centre-pivot irrigators, bought down trees onto HV powerlines and generally made a real mess of things.
Hopefully that is the last of the "bad" weather here for some time.

So, how is it, your way? anyone

G
It is just raining here. We had a silent hurricane this year. No wind and destruction, just 5-6 feet of rain.
They are complaining that the fresh water is actually lowering the salinity at the beach.

Greg Fretwell
Hello Gentlemen, I hope my inclusions within these pages are of some interest. I tend to get long written when I find topics I am intrigued by. Although I can always just say ..what's up, too ..

In San Bernardino, California, What can I say warm .. clear and crowded with people ..

Last edited by MarkPerry; 09/22/13 03:17 PM.

Anyone claiming to know everything about Electrical, is wrong.
Trumpy:
Here in NJ we had a large warehouse fire Labor Day weekend; solar panels hindered firefighting operations.
(Thread started here)

Next; the boardwalk at Seaside was devastated by a large fire. Wind & low water pressure were issues. Cause was basically 'electrical'
(Thread here also)

Otherwise, I'm busy! Economy is holding it's own. Fall and winter are soon upon us.

John
G
Business wise things are picking up pretty nicely here in the Ft Myers/Naples area.
My wife's electrician says he is not going to be trading electrical work for golf as much because he doesn't have time to play.

Greg Fretwell
R
Hi Mike, yep still around. too busy with work, upgowing kids at home and making video's for youtube, blowing up old electrical stuff and doing electrical experiments as well.
Make a few dollars out of that as well.

We had a weatherbomb in Auckland, last week, with trees across lines, lots of rain, hot water pilot faults and the like.
A lot of older substations are being upgraded to SF6 switchgear. All the intereswting stuff is slowly disappearing.
A great website to trace lightning activity worldwide is
Blitzortung ( Google for it )
Usually lightning storms affect electricity networks.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
I'm studying again, full-time to become a teacher (English and history). In my spare time I picked up minor electronics work again - stuff like replacing capacitors 1:1. What got me started was that the filter cap in my ancient V2000 VCR blew up. Now I'm trying to determine what's wrong with my other V2000, which I gave up on years ago. With the help of some online VCR experts I've narrowed it down to (most likely) dirty or damaged heads.

Other than that, we had two earthquakes in Austria recently, nothing threatening but unusually strong (both were 4.2). The first one was at 4 AM and I didn't even notice it, but the second one was around 7:30 PM and I felt the house shake. Ironically, only an instant before the quake, someone fired up a huge 1980s Chevy in the street, and before I realised that it had to be an earthquake I actually wondered whether that V8 could be shaking the house that badly! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard