ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#211158 09/22/13 04:10 PM
MarkC10 Offline OP
I Suppose I'm the newest member here, although probably one of the older members as well.

I live in southern cal, I've been in the electrical industry since 1984 .. got my C10 at 24 years old back in 1987, after 10 years of competitive bidding I decided at 35 to join the IBEW got in after taking a 4 hour exam, became a journeyman eventually became a foreman even became a general foreman for a spell.

During 2010 the economy dropped, I was dumped on the books with 1000 other journeyman for 1 year when I decided enough, I ended up reinstating my Contractors Lic. which now even after 3 years I've been steadily booked 3 weeks in advance since starting my business again.

Hope all you fellow electricians are able to keep busy as well ..

Care to share your electrical history .. ?

Anyone claiming to know everything about Electrical, is wrong.
Cat Servant
Welcome- and your intro begs many questions. Here are a few, and perhaps you might be willing to share your thoughts:

1) Are you a union contractor?

2) What reasons account for your staying busy while union members sit idle?

3) Did the drop in the economy also hurt the non-union shops? As badly?

4) Are you doing the same sort of work you did as a union electrician?

5) What qualifications do you have, apart from your union card? (Looking for BICSI,etc- special certifications)

6) Apart from your contractors' license, what other licenses / certifications are you required to have? (LEED, EPA, RRRP, Asbestos, etc)?

MarkC10 Offline OP
Well .. reno, I don't think I'll accommodate your approval either way from your questions. I'll try ..

First of all I loved the Union, great people great benefits ..but I just couldnt sit idle while waiting for a job that may last 2 years at most .. some members did great ..great for them.

If I ever need to hire employees it would be out of the hall .. I do need to honor some sort of oath and obligation.

The only reason I am working is because of my diligence and perseverance to earn income while providing a service in need..

I'm pretty sure the dip in the economy affected all tradesmen union or not ..

I could never compete in bidding the same jobs as the union, I was doing high rises, hospital and schools .. now I'm simply doing simple residential work, troubleshooting issues and an occasional row of drop ins .. my days of doing big work are over. Besides I don't do jobs that require credit for supplies.

My only qualifications are a C10 License I obtained 25 years ago. As I've learned and do appreciate there are many outstanding electricians out there some are strictly motor control some are solar experts or wind powered experts, some work with 3" rigid all day and some pull romex..either way the hourly rate is an hourly rate .. whether I earn my money bending segmented 3" rigid or run coax my labor is the same .. right.

I use to attend all the meetings regarding safety, trenching guidelines, OSHA, Abatement so on ..

so .. any other questions to discredit my contribution within the electrical industry.

MarkC10 Offline OP
As far as why I didn't stick it out within the union if that is asked ..

Basically I was on the Books for about 9 months getting closer every month I believe I started as 950 and after 9 months was down to 250 .. during this period I had a lot of debt obligations, It got so bad that I was late several times on my dues .. well the final straw was when I sent a 6 month check to accommodate my late dues .. they returned the check and said basically I lost my membership status .. I gave them 10 years of what I feel to be good service, they let me go basically, my check was good for roughly 3 months of past dues and for 3 months of future dues.

Besides, my theory is the union basically wanted to phase us journeyman out with all the new upcoming plans to hire CW's and CH which was basically bringing new members in but without giving them the same pay scale, no benefits or retirement .. us journeyman saw what was going on .. I understood too and that's when I realized the union is down sizing, instead of paying journeyman 38.00 + and hour they would hire these lower paid guys 18.00 ..

Can't blame them really, I have a pretty good understanding of business and sure when schools cost the taxpayer 2 million or more why not hire these other none journeyman laborers with an IBEW hat on and bid the job at 1.5 million.

It's not my idea .. the unions are trying to get more work.

Do ya pay 60.00 and hour to install a row of lights or hire a guy at 18.00, either way it's gonna get inspected. Safety is always necessary regardless the pay scale.

It wasn't my idea .. I'm just trying to conform to a changing time. Besides the only person I can blame these days for me not working ..Is me.

Last edited by MarkPerry; 09/22/13 06:33 PM.

Cat Servant
It's not a matter of "my approval" or your credibility. I'm sorry you took it that way, and am glad you responded.

Rather, the questions I ask are quite relevant. These boards are full of threads asking questions about these topics. Many folks dream of opening their own business, but lack the 'apprenticeship' to teach them of the OTHER things they need to know. From your experience, you should be well positioned to address them.

Your original posts were also silent as to whether you had a particular niche you were filling, etc. Hence the reference to BICSI, etc.

I am sure others will also want to hear whatever you have to say regarding insurance, finding customers, etc.

MarkC10 Offline OP
well .. reno, all I can say is I carry a C10, at one time I carried a Journeyman Card .. which means very little to me.
I obtained several certificates many find to be an acceptance of accomplishment, those all became expired ..

I do carry a Bond , Business Liability Insurance of 2 million aggregate and am allowed by the state of california to work anywhere in this state as a electrical contractor working 600 volts and below.

That's all I got .. am I a valid electrician, yes .. Am I the best .. no.

I'm not sure what your trying to point out here ..?

Last edited by MarkPerry; 09/22/13 07:31 PM.

MarkC10 Offline OP
Instead of this thread being about cross examining me .. how about just answering the question .. what's your electrical history .. just trying to see who's in the crowd.

sincerely, Mark

OK, let us put the right track on here....
I'll start the inquiry...

Presently, AHJ/Chief Electrical Inspector or as NJ calls it.."Electrical Subcode Official"

Inclusive of Plan Review/Plan Check, etc. Twp of 100k pop.
Also. same responsibilitys P/T in a small Boro that was heavily damaged by superstorm Sandy.

Have been a P/T instructor of Electrical Trades courses at a County Vo-Tech; last year & this the enrollement has not been there.

Hold a NJ Electrical Contractor Lic & Business Permit. It is inactive since 2007 when I closed shop. Six men in the good times, 3 when I closed; we were an open shop. Primarily maintenance; troubleshooting; comm for select clients.

General economy outlook here in my area of NJ, as heard from several ECs, is 'good' to we're busy. Both IBEW and open shops.

No cross exams please. Take it to email or PMs

John
MarkC10 Offline OP
Thanks Hotline ..

Sounds like you have a good career going on ..")

The most workers I had was 15 years ago with 5 then in time once complaints of theft or the reality of missing wiring was discovered after drywall .. I just said forget it, I'll go solo .. besides my job basically became keeping them employed, and yes I did it legally with a payroll service .. so at 50, here I am , crawling under homes or up in attics and at times I do get clean work at a small business .. I do love it though, I enjoy being able to work with customers as opposed to being 1 of 50 electricians on a project ..wondering if I get a pink slip this week or next.

thanks for the share ..

THere is something about dealing with the client that can give satisfaction. You have to have the personality for that.

And, yes, I do like my job, always did!!

John
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard