ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#21136 01/30/03 08:49 PM
T
Talk about burnin' rubber [Linked Image]

#21137 01/30/03 10:46 PM
C
All I can say is it's a pretty sad society we live in.

Peter
#21138 01/31/03 12:56 AM
Broom Pusher and
Nick,

Just wanted to say I am sorry to hear this news!!!
What City did this happen in?

Hope you can find the jokers, and remove their testicles!
(hope this is not offensive to anyone)

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#21139 01/31/03 01:50 AM
N
I've rig'd up an alarm in our job boxes.. those 12V car alarms.. takes alittle room in the box, but i've found that a cars battery will last most of the nite .. someone opens the box it just gives them a nice ear blast of noise.. and if its not too rural.. it generally gets someones attention.. I've also gone as far as finding a spot where i put a camcorder (color) over our job box area.. police like that one.. saved my comp a few thousand..

#21140 01/31/03 09:49 AM
J
You would be surprised what you can catch on a camera, I was a camera installer and covert video was my speciality, now if only spelling was too... One of the best video clips I saw was the president of the company open a door in the hallway, as soon as it closed opened back up and then exited the door next to it, guess he couldn't remember which door was the closet and which went to the hallway. If anybody needs info on covert video please feel free to e-mail me, they have everything from smoke detectors, which work great, to exit signs, phones, I even built one into a portable radio, the radio and cd player work and it has a small color camera and wireless transmitter inside it, out of all the people that have seen it nobody has ever seen the camera.

#21141 01/31/03 09:53 AM
P
Curiously there's a borough called Camden in North London. It's about the same as you describe for Camden, N.J, and certainly not a nice place to be at night.

Nick,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I guess I've been lucky as I've never suffered anything more than an odd screwdriver or pair of pliers disappearing on site, but then I don't usually do work in any of the big towns. Nothing would induce me to live in anything other than a rural area any more.

#21142 02/01/03 03:56 PM
A
Some time ago, there was a firm in Chicago by the name of Gerson Electric. They were an old line firm that was part of the tri-venture that wired the Sears Tower. They were prime electrical on this job where we had a small part. They used to get large rolling safes. I mean these used to be just about if not just over 6' tall. They would have the crew horse them into the basement into their shop on the job, behind as strong a set of doors as they could. Only the foreman knew the combination. I guess that they had been burned a number of times before.

In another instance, we were called to restore power to a 400 amp 480 volt feeder in a section of the old Western Electric Hawthorne Works in Cicero Illinois. It had long since closed, and most of the property was converted into retail. But there was still this one old manufacturing building; it too abandonded. It was magnificent! It had the hardest concrete floors in places, and in some, the floor was lined with cork "bricks" I think they made wire & cable there. Anyway, at one time the powerhose, [also gone at the time] fed this building at 12 kV. Only the 480 portion of the unit-sub as left. As the person on site explained, theives were trying to strip out the remaining aluminum MC cable that ran on cable tray throughout the building, serving what few loads had to remain. Problem is they did it live, [ I'm serious]. They blew the fuse in their first attempt. We replaced the fuse and went on our merry way. Two days later, we got a call to come and replace the fuse again, the theives had returned.

When we got back, the place was a mess. The way the story was related to me was that the theived returned. The guard on duty noticed the truck and then noticed the lights go out in the building. He called the cops. Apparently the theives disconnected the leeder from the buss detail, again, live, using channel locks, and a hacksaw. Problem was these were recessed hex socket screws on the lugs. And they didn't blow the fuse this time! They hooked up a piece of 1/8" aircraft wire to the cable and the other end to the bumper on their truck. They were dragging it off of the tray by driving around the interior of the building. About this time, the cops showed up. The theives took off in their truck, and luckily the aircraft able broke. They ramed through some doors, and led the police on a short car chase. They were eventually nabbed, and, I'm told, tuned up on the way to jail. Cicero was kinda' a rough town, once home to Al Capone.

[This message has been edited by airportelectrician (edited 02-01-2003).]

#21143 02/03/03 12:14 AM
T
CAN YOU FIND THE HIDDEN CAMERA?
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

(Hopefully you'll at least get a chuckle out of this--we all can use some cheering up these days.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard