ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Just seen this string. I sometimes feel a bit of an intruder here so I'll explain myself. I'm an electrical engineer who found employment in military aerospace. In my positions, over 35 years, as well as aircraft systems I was extensively involved in operating development engineering laboratories. This brought me into contact with contracting installers who had to cope with unusual systems, such as low voltage DC and 400Hz AC. We worked quite well together, mutually helping each other with all sorts of new installations. Grounding systems were the most difficult; almost, though not quite black magic, but close to it! We were after all trying to emulate the solid aluminium airframe in a laboratory environment!
Now in semi retirement I still find an interest in the technology of electrical installations, and still do my own household work, although this is now contrary to UK legislation, - (don't tell anyone because I'll deny it).

S
Deny what?...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Deny that he does electrical work on his own house.

I've been leery of posting in this thread because I wanted to remain somewhat secretive and anonymous... but I guess it wouldn't hurt, since I don't already have a bad rep here. grin

To say I'm an oddball would be a gross understatement.
I'm one of the youngest here, at 22, and I'm sure at least a couple of you will be surprised to hear that. (if I didn't reveal my age already?)
Despite my age, I am very old-school and don't intend to change. I might come off as an old curmudgeon at times...
My primary area is historical work - preservation and maintenance of older electrical systems and components, including "things that plug in". I'll admit that I am more familiar with electrical code from 70 years ago than that of a few years ago... I grew up reading old NECs and other electrical literature.
Do I have any credentials?
Are there any credentials for what I do? You tell me... smile

I work with and own hordes of stuff like the few items pictured below:
[Linked Image from scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]

[Linked Image from scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]

Last edited by NickD; 10/08/13 03:06 PM.
one more...

[Linked Image from scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]

Nice stuff!!

John
H
I guess I will pipe up here and re-introduce myself. I started working back in 1975 as a burglar/fire alarm installer, then I went to work for an EC in town and worked with him for 9 years as apprentice then to his foreman. Then I got my EC lic. in 1985 and started my own business back then worked my own business up to 4 trucks and 7 people at one time. Of my employees, 3 of them had their own EC lic and one had an HHS inspector lic. I got my own HHS inspector lic. back in 1995. I got the job as an AHJ for 4 different towns all part time since 1998. I also have filled in at least 10-15 different towns when they needed help. I have know Greg since the old Prodigy days same with Joe Tedesco. I am in north Jersey working, Morris County to be exact. I also sit on the Morris County Board of Construction.

That would be the place to would take an AHJ to dispute his judgement call. Also in all my towns, I do all the plane review and inspections and all the paper work that goes with the job.

G
I still have an Endean Electric T shirt. wink

Greg Fretwell
S
That's a rather impressive resume Harold

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
OK, I'll jump in too:
Co. I worked at for 17+yrs closed in '81 (Supervisory)
Went to work at a local EC, and studied for the "Test"
Got my EC Lic in '85
Started as one-man; grew to 4 trucks & 8 guys over the years.
Took the 'Inspectors' classes & Tests; ICS/HHS, Subcode, Construction Official in '91
Did a stint at a local Vo-Tech teaching Electrical Trades on a part time basis.
Did a stint as a CEU Instructor for ECs and Inspectors with a local Inspectors Association.

Currently, one full time AHJ and two PT towns. Same duties as Harold basically. Full time twp is 5000++ permits a year; PT towns are both under 1000 each.

And...I never had an Endean Electric Tee shirt!!

John
H
Sparky,

Thank you for the compliment, but I just had to do what I needed to do to keep food on my table as do all the rest of us here. The reason for the HHS lic. was that when Greg and I were on Prodigy, we met each other and started a website such as this one. We had Joe Tedesco as our base leader and he trained us and taught us the NEC. AFter that I went for the HHS in oreder to make me a better contractor. I thought that some day I might be an inspector but I never thought it would happen so soon after getting the license.

My friend was the AHJ here and in 1997 we suffered a heart attack, So one of my employees who had his HHS lic. took over for him until he got well enough to come back to work. The following year he had his 3rd and final heart attack. That was when the town asked me to take it over. Then again in 2005 one of my construction officials who was good friends with a county freeholder threw my name in and I was given a place on the Morris County Construction Board of Appeals.

I have very blessed over these years and I thank the Lord above, for all the good fortune that has come my way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard