ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
Yesterday another electrician just about had a nervous breakdown when he found I was using a "Bell" box in an indoor location. Why, that was just WRONG!

Mind you, this was the same guy who, a few days ago, had lectured me that the NEC didn't matter, we had a "company" code and all that mattered was what the non-electrical qualified bosses said.

Why was I using such a box? I was using it for space. The box was to hold s timer. The timer was exactly the right size to fill a 'switch box,' with NO space left for the fittings; a handy box had room for the fittings, but no space for wires to exit the fittings.

From his comments, it was also clear that he saw no reason to provide the required pigtails in the box.

I won't get into box fill, except to note that code rules can use some improvement here. That big timer counts the same for box fill as the smallest toggle switch.

I told him that using an 'outdoor' box indoors wasn't a sin. That seemed to quiet him, though he was still unhappy.

I believe we need to reconsider the way we write rules.

Somehow a 'maximum' speed limit becomes understood as a 'minimum.' Somehow 'outdoor' stuff gets understood to be for outdoor use ONLY. Somehow rules get completely turned around.

Last edited by renosteinke; 09/19/13 09:21 AM.
G
The only problem I see with a bell box is it is hard to attach to a stud and cover with sheet rock.
If this is surface mounted it actually gives you a cleaner looking installation. In your case the alternative is a 1900 box and a deep ring.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:
As to your comments about a handy box, or a switch box. What is lacking somewhere with some guys is either good old common sense, or experience.

The issues with some devices having 'larger cube capacity' than others should be somehow written into the box fill calcs. I remember back in time trying really hard to install GFI devices as replacements for old 2 wire recepts. The guy I worked for insisted that they 'will fit'

Solution back the was a single gang 'wiremold' extension box. Customers didn't like it, but....

Keep the faith

John
B
If you couldn't fit it all in a handy box you should have called in a DIY, they can fit anything into a handy box. My favorite is room additions wired with 12/2 UF and handy boxes. What skill.

Cat Servant
The boss insisted on using 'deep' handy boxes, and I admit it went easier than I expected. Alas, they also like stranded wire.

I'll confess to a bias against handy boxes. Heck, any EC I ever worked for would have fired me, had I brought one from the supply house!

Link Copied to Clipboard