ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Potseal Offline OP
Is it legally possible in any way possible?

Someone I talked to says they know of a situation but is unsure of how it was done. Supposedly all parties involved knew what was going on.

Last edited by Potseal; 09/10/13 03:24 AM.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Cat Servant
"Legal," "get away with," and "right" are three very different things.

Ask yourself this: Is it OK for you to practice medicine or law using another persons' license? Drive? Buy a gun? Buy alcohol or tobacco? Write a check?

Why would and electrical license be any different?

Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke
"Legal," "get away with," and "right" are three very different things.

Ask yourself this: Is it OK for you to practice medicine or law using another persons' license? Drive? Buy a gun? Buy alcohol or tobacco? Write a check?

Why would and electrical license be any different?

Yes, it seems like a no brainier.

Yet, here in Saskatchewan I know of a journeyman electrician who is employed full-time at a company and has a contractor's license. That is not supposed to be possible based on the rules governing who is allowed to have a contractor's license.

So how does he do it when no one else can? Apparently he found a legal loophole. I don't know the exact details but I've been told that he uses another electrician's license # on his permits. The other electrician supposedly has agreed to this practice. Is this true? I don't know. Which is why I've posed the question.

Last edited by Potseal; 09/11/13 01:15 AM.

Dwayne
T
twh Offline
Rules only affect honest people.

Stateside, there are 'guys' who provide sealed permit applications to 'others' for a "fee".

Is it OK? NO!

Does it happen? YES!

John
Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by twh
Rules only affect honest people.

He's been working at both jobs for years. He doesn't do contractor work without permits - this I know to be fact.

Therefore, if his journeyman ticket # is listed at the place of business where he is an employee and he submits a different number with his permits as a contractor with his own business I would think that somebody somewhere would've raised a flag long ago. If this is not true, then how else could he be working both as a company employee and private contractor legally?

Last edited by Potseal; 09/12/13 02:27 AM.

Dwayne
J
Sounds to me like his electric ticket is required for his job so he can not use for his contracting business. Therefore his contracting business "hires' another electrician to do the electrical work and he works for the other electrician when not at his full time job.

Last edited by jdevlin; 09/12/13 11:34 AM.
Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by jdevlin
Sounds to me like his electric ticket is required for his job so he can not use for his contracting business. Therefore his contracting business "hires' another electrician to do the electrical work and he works for the other electrician when not at his full time job.

It's my understanding that it's his own name on the permits but the other electrician's ticket #. Therefore I don't believe it's being presented like he's working for someone. The other electrician doesn't sound like he's even active in the business. If an inspector were on site then they wouldn't even see the other electrician. It's been this way for years. The only thing I can think of is a legal loophole that allows him to operate this way openly.

Dwayne
T
twh Offline
It's possible for a non-electrician to get a licence if he has an electrician provide a journeyman number. For example, a plumber can get a licence by hiring an electrician or by getting an electrician to provide a ticket number. It isn't a loophole. It's the way it's done. My company has a contractor's licence but it never even went to grade one, let alone trade school.

Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by twh
It's possible for a non-electrician to get a licence if he has an electrician provide a journeyman number. For example, a plumber can get a licence by hiring an electrician or by getting an electrician to provide a ticket number. It isn't a loophole. It's the way it's done. My company has a contractor's licence but it never even went to grade one, let alone trade school.

I do realize that somebody who is not a licensed electrician can have an electrical contract company BUT they still must have licensed electricians to do the work.

What I do not understand is how this individual can be working full-time at a company as a licensed electrician and do contractor work on the side - legally submitting permits under his name. If the truth is that he's using 2 different numbers to get around the rules regarding how electricians are allowed to work in Saskatchewan then it's got to be a loophole. If not, then why are so many other electricians I know scratching their heads wondering why they can't do the same?

Dwayne
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard