ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Actually I don't think you even need licensed electricians to do the work. You only licensed electricians to be on staff.

Here are the requirements to be an elctrical contractor in Ontario. Note item #2.

Eligibility for an ECRA/ESA Electrical Contractor Licence

1 Must be at least 18 years of age
2 Be a Master Electrician, or employ at all times at least one Designated Master Electrician
3 Have a place of business in Ontario
4 Have public liability and property damage insurance coverage of at least $2,000,000
5 Be registered with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, if the applicant is required to register under the Work Place Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
6 Not be in default of filing a return with the Ministry of Revenue or of paying any tax, penalty or interest assessed under the Retail Sales Tax Act or the Corporations Tax Act, if applicable, for which payment arrangements have not been made
7 Not owe the ESA any money for which payments arrangements have not been made

Last edited by jdevlin; 09/16/13 10:33 AM.
Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by jdevlin
Eligibility for an ECRA/ESA Electrical Contractor Licence
2 Be a Master Electrician, or employ at all times at least one Designated Master Electrician

My interpretation of that is you need a Master Electrician on staff in order to do the work. Otherwise, who would pull the permit?

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
B
To be a licensed electrical contractor in Ontario, the company needs to have a designated "Master Electrician".
The Master Electrician does NOT need to be a licensed electrician. For example an electrical engineer can receive the designation of Master Electrician. However the Master Electrician can only perform work if they are a licensed electrician. The Master Electrician is basically supposed to ensure that the company is following all laws, including labour law.

To perform work for somebody else you must be a licensed Construction and Maintenance Electrician, as that is a regulated trade in Ontario.

We'll leave the subject of Industrial Electricians alone for now.

Bruce

W
Originally Posted by brsele
For example an electrical engineer can receive the designation of Master Electrician. However the Master Electrician can only perform work if they are a licensed electrician.

I'm an electrical engineer, but I'm certainly not qualified to do electrician's work. They don't teach things like the NEC in college, it's all theory. And labor law isn't taught there either.

B
Originally Posted by wa2ise
I'm an electrical engineer, but I'm certainly not qualified to do electrician's work. They don't teach things like the NEC in college, it's all theory. And labor law isn't taught there either.

I believe that it's all about liability and having somebody to point a finger at and blame.

I can't understand why the NEC is not mandatory for EEs.

No offense intended, there are really good EEs that do electrical power. My rant is to those who can't prepare a panel schedule, and load calcs!!

Sorry for jumping off topic!!

John
Potseal Offline OP
In Saskatchewan the only way anyone other than a licensed electrician can legally do electrical work is if they are a homeowner doing their own work after obtaining a homeowner's permit. The homeowners permit has limitations.

This would not explain my original question. I may have to go to the source and hope they are willing to explain their method. I don't want to work around the clock with 2 jobs but being able to pick-up the odd sideline job outside regular work hours would be a great option to have.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
B
Originally Posted by Potseal
In Saskatchewan the only way anyone other than a licensed electrician can legally do electrical work is if they are a homeowner doing their own work after obtaining a homeowner's permit. The homeowners permit has limitations.

Which is the same in Ontario. As I said the master electrician can only perform work if they are also a licensed electrician.
Originally Posted by Potseal

This would not explain my original question. I may have to go to the source and hope they are willing to explain their method. I don't want to work around the clock with 2 jobs but being able to pick-up the odd sideline job outside regular work hours would be a great option to have.

What you may find is that the cost of being legal cannot be justified over the odd sideline job. Between my ECRA lic., master lic., WSIB, liab. ins., the new college of trades fees, etc, my first $5.00 an hour goes to just being legal. And then I still have to compete with all of the unlicensed hacks.

"What you may find is that the cost of being legal cannot be justified over the odd sideline job. Between my ECRA lic., master lic., WSIB, liab. ins., the new college of trades fees, etc, my first $5.00 an hour goes to just being legal. And then I still have to compete with all of the unlicensed hacks."

The same issues are valid here stateside. The actual dollars vary between the states but here in NJ costs are way up. Those without (hacks/trunk slammers) are tough to compete with.

Last edited by HotLine1; 09/20/13 03:44 PM.

John
Just from the title of this topic, I'd say that's a big risk.

I'd never let someone else use my # .. whether a journeyman credential or especially a CSLB number .. nothing but liability there not to mention it's probably a criminal offense. Besides what happens if someone unfortunately died from the installations of the one using your number ..that's a involuntary manslaughter charge, I strongly would stay clear from allowing others to use your number of any kind ..

Anyone claiming to know everything about Electrical, is wrong.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard