ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Here is one quote I read...

"The fire broke out at the Dietz & Watson cold storage facility on Cooperstown Road in Delanco, Burlington County, N.J. around 1:30 p.m. Sunday and caused the roof, lined with thousands of solar panels, to collapse within hours. Thick, black smoke could be seen billowing from the facility miles away."

The roof which is the size of 5 football fields was completely covered with 7000 panels and firefighters could not go on the roof or in the building to fight this fire.

Cat Servant
I don't believe the report is accurate, or complete.

S
You telling me Reno that mondern day journelism that has access to so much more data is report half truths and filling in the blanks to make it sound good instead of reporting just the facts so we can decide?... Was it reported by Fox News...?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
http://www.fireengineering.com/news...s-it-can-work-around-warehouse-fire.html

If you look with Google it is well covered with panels. The firefighters were worried they would be electrocuted if they went up to ventilate the roof. On a large bldg like this it is important to cut a hole or trench cut the roof to contain the fire to one area. Having been in the fire service as well as an electrician, I would have gone on the roof, but I can understand firefighters not wanting to get near those panels. With as many panels as there were, during a sunny day, lots of volts & amps.and no meter to pull to shut it all down.

As far as I know, there has not been a definitive cause released for this fire.

Water pressure and availability was an issue, based on article I read. Yes, the solar panels were an 'issue'. The Fire Chief refused to allow any firefighters onto the roof because of the panels.

It was reported as an eleven (11) alarm fire.

Dietz & Watson released comments that they will continue to take care of their customers and employees.

John
S
Problem of not venting the roof is cant let the smoke out

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
When we built one of the big exhibition buildings in Chicago, we installed dozens of spring-loaded roof hatches that would pop open on command from the FACP when the firemen wanted the space ventilated.
You can see them spaced in a neat grid on GoogleEarth if you look at the white building with the rounded SE corner right where I-55 and US-41 meet.
It's around 41 degrees 51' North and 87 degrees 36.5' West.

Ghost307
NBC News 10 out of Philapelphia has an update Mon. AM 9/9/13 that there are still flare-ups at the site.

Hot spots under the colapsed roof are not accessable, and the plan is to let it burn out.

I am not aware of a definite cause as of yet.

John

John
S

Thanks for the update link.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard