ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211026 09/05/13 02:19 AM
I've been kicking around PV for my farm.
But after watching YouTube videos of guys with Multiple eBay Chinese special grid tie inverters, I couldn't help wondering if you had two of them going at the same time when the grid went down if they wouldn't keep each other going and possibly make a fatality out of a lineman?? They are supposed to shut off output power when they sense grid loss.
It Seems like something that should be addressed somehow.

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
G
I think they are smart enough to see the grid drop. Scott may be better to guess at this but I think they actually trigger on the rising grid voltage above zero and kick in a few hundred microseconds after that. With no grid, none of them would trigger.

The open question might be if a small battery inverter would trigger them but you would still have to isolate that from the grid with a transfer switch.

Greg Fretwell
S
UL-1741 listed Grid Tied Inverters have to shut down upon loss of power from the grid. I don't know what type of black market junk is selling on ebay...but any legitimate company installing PV systems with the proper inspections won't be buying equipment on ebay...

Link Copied to Clipboard