ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
MikeEE Offline OP
What are the code requirements for a handicapped RV park pedestal?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I am not sure it is defined specifically but the general reach rule is >14" <49".
Whether pedestals are required to meet this and if there only need to be a few per park may really be the issue.
I don't see anything about it in the Fla Accessibility code.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Who's the authority?

Words mean things. Is this an RV in an RV park, or a trailer park? How long do campers stay in place? Who owns the meter?

Some park meters are owned / controlled by the PoCo. Some are owned by the park.

Date the pedestal was installed - rather than the date the space was occupied - determines what rules apply as well.

Many states have a specific bureaucracy regulating trailer and RV parks. They'll have their own rules- as will the town.

Referring specifically to the 'advisory' ADA guidelines, I don't think the pedestal has to be accessible at all. Trying to apply ADA guidelines outside the scope is nothing more than regulatory 'creep.'

G
Who's the authority?

The jury in the lawsuits that are driving ADA these days.

They have hit teams of people who make a living probing the law to see what is says with law suits.
It is not like a building code with somewhat clearly defined rules.
One "denied" camper could change the way the law is enforced.

Safe answer, install a pole or two with the "operable parts" 15-48", slap handicapped sticker on it and hope they go after someone else.

Greg Fretwell
I feel Greg has the right idea. There are no RV parks around my areas

Stay within the 'magic window' and you will be safe, & if you don't slap an ADA sticker on it, no one may notice.

John
G
The only danger might be that the sticker causes people to look around and figure out how many other violations you have.

We could do a whole thread on the silly stuff they make people do like the wheel chair accessible stripper pole in Baltimore.

They drove a guy out of business here because he had 4 non accessible tables in a restaurant that seated around 90.
The vigilantes said they wanted to sit at one of those tables and no other would do. DoJ agreed.
A ramp with the required turn spaces would have taken out about 10 tables, including 2 of the 4 on the elevated seating area.

Greg Fretwell
G
I just finished my ADA CEUs today.
I found this on the access-board.gov website.
Basically campgrounds are coming but the ADA has not completed the rules yet

Achieving accessibility in outdoor environments has long been a source of inquiry due to challenges and constraints posed by terrain, the degree of development, construction practices and materials, and other factors. The Board is developing new guidelines for outdoor developed areas that will clarify how, and to what extent, access can be achieved. The guidelines will address access to new or altered trails, beach access routes, and picnic and camping areas. Under this rulemaking, the Board is first developing guidelines under the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) for outdoor developed areas managed by the federal government. Guidelines for non-federal sites covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will be developed separately through a subsequent rulemaking. These guidelines will become enforceable standards once they are adopted into the ABA standards and, under later rulemaking, the ADA standards.

Greg Fretwell
M
MikeEE Offline OP
Thanks for the information. I checked here in Michigan and a clear path or floor space 30 by 48 inches is required for a forward or side approach. The receptacle must be between 15 and 48 inches from the ground or floor.

Link Copied to Clipboard