ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I know this is not in the electrical code, but is there anything in the building code, mechanical code,etc.. that prohibits putting a "y" in an exhaust fan hose and running two fans to one outside vent? I know it's probably not the best, but I have a 2 story house that there is one fan vented with 6" vent and it has another fan in the same bathroom that has a 3" vent. It's a pretty long way up on an extension ladder to make another hole if it's not necessary. The fan with the 6" vent says it could have used a 4" vent, but we decided to go with the 6" for better exhaust..It is the one that has been vented to the outside eave. Thanks for the input again..

Last edited by sparkync; 08/14/13 12:01 AM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Don't know about code, but one fan's exhaust may end up backfeeding the other if both are not powered at the same time.

S
If you put one fan ahead of the Y should pass muster. It would draw on both of them without back feeding. Can't recite code but HRV and larger commercial systems operate that way

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
Here's an idea: Let's all go to the HVAC forum for our electrical advice!

I think the appropriate answer sometimes is "I don't know, and this is the wrong place to ask."

"Fart fans" do have code requirements and proper installation rules - details that are often ignored in practice. In remodeling my house, it's amazing the number of folks who have eagerly shared their clever tricks - without realizing that their practices are against the mechanical or plumbing codes.

In practical terms, the simple truth is that unless your fan cost at least $70, and has a rigid metal duct going straight up through the roof, you're probably breaking the rules somewhere.

EVERYONE at this forum should own at least one copy - even an old one- of "Code Check Complete,' from the Tauton Press. Period.

BTW, chances are you're required to use a delay-off switch and tie it to your lighting controls.

My personal point: Don't forget make-up air.

B
I can tell you that we wanted to do this exact thing on a remodel job so we asked the inspector. Turns out you ARE allowed to do it but there is a formula you use to determine the size needed for the final duct, and it IS bigger than the two from the fans. The dampers should prevent any noticeable backdraft into the other fan.

Anyway since we are not HVAC technicians we ran separate ducts out the roof.

Which brings up a question, how many of you will provide the exhaust for the fan when there is no HVAC on the job?
Or do you call in an HVAC tech and a roofer for a fart fan?

Last edited by BigB; 08/14/13 11:57 PM.
Did a couple over the years, both resi with no other trades on job.

Business base was 99% comm, so there were HVAC guys at the sites

John
G
I poked around in the IBC residential code mechanicals and I did not see this specifically addressed

I could be missing something. Like Reno says, this is not my field.

M1507.1 General.
Where toilet rooms and bathrooms are mechanically ventilated, the ventilation equipment shall be installed in accordance with this section.

M1507.2 Recirculation of air.
Exhaust air from bathrooms and toilet rooms shall not be recirculated within a residence or to another dwelling unit and shall be exhausted directly to the outdoors. Exhaust air from bathrooms and toilet rooms shall not discharge into an attic, crawl space or other areas inside the building.
M1507.3 Ventilation rate.
Ventilation systems shall be designed to have the capacity to exhaust the minimum air flow rate determined in accordance with Table M1507.3.

Greg Fretwell
S
Fortunately, on this particular job, the HVAC man said he would vent it:) This is the only job in a long....... time I have had a HVAC man to vent the fans. I still made need the info on other jobs though. In ordinary situations, I always vent separately, but this one was questionable... Thanks again

Link Copied to Clipboard