ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Agreed, Greg.
Part of the issue is that the manufacturers who used the ground as a current carrying path were very dodgey about exactly how much current they were pulling, not to mention that every one of the fancy switches was adding more and more to the ground wire.
That's when NFPA took notice and changed the Code rules for neutrals in switch boxes.

P.S. Just so everyone else on the forum knows what you and I both already know, IAEI reviews the Code so its members are well versed in the changes but they have nothing to do with revising or changing the NEC.

Ghost307
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
IAEI reviews the Code so its members are well versed in the changes but they have nothing to do with revising or changing the NEC

... well almost.

IAEI usually has people on the TCC and a number of IAEI officials on the various CMPs. They also submit a lot of proposals under the IAEI banner.
The same is true of the IBEW, big manufacturers and NEMA.
This is far from a pure "user based" process as they would have us believe. Big money swings a big club at NFPA.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Unless you're using pipe, every switch needs to have a neutral present.

Forget "CMOS" and electronics. Even today 'illuminated' switches operate by not completely shutting things 'off;' they let just enough juice through to light that bulb.

Energy codes want things like timers, which means you'll need a neutral to power the clock.

Put in context with other NEC changes - like AFCI's and restrictions on MWBC's - and it looks as if the only way they want you to wire a circuit is Power -> ALL switches -> device. Looks like they want to do away with having all the connections in the fixture canopy.

H
I see and I hear the reasons for a neutral at every "box". Yet the practicality of the problem shows that when you have a 2 gang box, with two dead end 3 way switches located there. You could always install a occupancy timer/sensor at the OTHER side of that 3-way switch wiring. SO a neutral at that particular box, should not need, (or ever need?) a neutral there at that 2 gang box.?

G
Playing devil's advocate
A occupancy sensor at the other end might not be looking at the right spot in the room.

I think Reno is right. This may be the end of the switch loop.

I guess we can toss all of those 200.7 rules about reidentifying white wires in cables.

Greg Fretwell
Gentlemen:
Thanks for the info & opinions.

John
G
I suppose we might see more 4 wire NM. If they throw a blue wire in there we can still have a 3 way dead end loop.
A regular 1 way loop will need 3 wire.

Greg Fretwell
Hmmm, I wonder if Southwire is tuned in??

John
G
They probably were in on the proposal.

Greg Fretwell
H
So the opinion is that even if you have 2 dead end 3 way switches in one 2 gang box, you would have to drag in another 2 wire cable just to have a neutral in that box. The hot wire wouldn't be hooked up, but the neutral would be. Is that what we agree on?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard