ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by electure
For the Stab-loks see here:

http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

"There were no problems reported with any of the other FPE breakers; in fact the FPE breakers were factory installed in some non FPE brand panels"

I don't know of anywhere it's documented. I'm just relying on 40+ years of memories. Sorry frown

Thanks for responding electure. Please do not take offense, but I do not take info off that website as being legitimate. First off I am always skeptical of a site that has 'pedia' at the end. Maybe if I took the hours to research the site I may realize I am wrong. But I did not see any links to an organization or authority on the matter. The article is written by someone and it seems to me it is affiliated with some class action suite in NJ. Who knows what the author's agenda is.
I will take all of your comments into consideration and I appreciate the discussion. I guess my best step is to just ask the AHJ myself and if he makes any claims about what isn't legal on FP I will ask for documentation.

B
One point to consider is that most of these panels are now between 30 and 50 years old. FPE or not, 30 to 50 year old panels and breakers could have issues.

I think that site was written by a bunch of Home Inspectors

Here's a more credible source.... the CPSC's findings. It looks like they ran out of money before making any determination one way or the other.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/New...ovides-Safety-Information-For-Consumers/

Originally Posted by electure
I think that site was written by a bunch of Home Inspectors

Here's a more credible source.... the CPSC's findings. It looks like they ran out of money before making any determination one way or the other.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/New...ovides-Safety-Information-For-Consumers/

Thank you electure!!

I tend to agree with the opinion that the first link Electure posted was 'biased' to say the least. However, as I said, I did not take time to read thru the complete link.

Yes, old panels really should be addressed, but, unless there is some clearly visable safety issues I cannot do anything but express my opinion within the limits of the NJ Regs.

FPE had a large presence here in NJ, and IMHO, I'm glad to see them being replaced.

The HIs will have to find another'pet' item.

John
M
Whats the difference between the Federal Pacific US breakers and Federal Pioneer Stab-loc breakers we see here in Canada?

Looking at pictures they appear to be the same.

Cat Servant
I think we have seen history made today- two pages of folks in agreement with me! smile

Let's put it in perspective. There are many breaker styles that have come, and gone away. Square D had their "XO" and who can forget Pushmatic? Then there's Zinsco, and the little Edison-base breakers.

Some things do better in the marketplace than others. There almost seems to be a pattern - some firm rules the roost because they're cheap, only to fade away a few years later.

I've been involved with this site since the late '90's, and if I've learned anything, WORDS MATTER. An awful; lot of assertions seem to fade away as soon as you pause to ask exactly what was said. The FPE discussion is fraught with such innuendo.

Even if you think FPE is the cats' meow of breaker design, you're left with a few major drawbacks. Those factors alone ought to ensure a steady replacement of them, over time. Nothing is forever - not even diamonds.

I wish the OP would explain under what circumstances someone said FPE was 'illegal.' Surely it wasn't a new instal. Also, what were the consequences of finding such a panel?

Inquiring minds want to know laugh

Originally Posted by renosteinke

I wish the OP would explain under what circumstances someone said FPE was 'illegal.' Surely it wasn't a new instal. Also, what were the consequences of finding such a panel?

Inquiring minds want to know laugh

No, it seems you want to know, and I have been on this site since you could join, perhaps in other names or emails?, but who cares?
You type arrogantly and from many of your posts over the years I know you like to stir the pot. I have been accused of the same in other circumstances so your posts don't bother me at all. For one, this is a forum and no one knows for sure if any or all of us are full of crap.
But to respond to your quote: where anywhere in my post(s) did I say someone told me it was illegal?

G
I have always understood FP had a batch of bad breakers that spoiled the reputation of everything made before and after.
Nobody is really sure how many bad breakers there were and the actual evidence of the problem is anecdotal at best, always "I know a guy who knew a guy" stuff.
I would get rid of an FP panel because it was old, if I was doing work in there anyway but I would not sit up nights worrying about it.

All that said, a home inspector will crucify you for anything FP, whether it is Stab Loc or not ... because they are usually working from a script they do not understand.

Do we want to talk about Ideal 65s next wink

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell

I would get rid of an FP panel because it was old, if I was doing work in there anyway but I would not sit up nights worrying about it.

If we lived in a world where that was possible...but we don't. Tell a customer you have to shut down his business and pay this $$$$$$ because it's old and I don't like it...your replaced!

Unfortunatly inspectors seem to be blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other many times. I am in Phila every day. I work in high rises, low rises, factories...blah blah blah, and some of the %&^$ I see day in and day out that an inspector in the past 5 years put a sticker on is a damn crime. I digress...point being getting good info sometimes is pretty hard. That's why sometimes over the years I come on here and throw stuff out here to see what others in the trade are experiencing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard