ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210610 07/13/13 02:15 PM
J
Hello!

I just placed a hot tub on a small slab (put in for the tub) along the side of my deck. My deck is about the same height as the hot tub, so there will be a door in the deck railing to step in and out of the hot tub from the deck. The service door on the side of the hot tub (where the controls and 240VAC terminations are) is located on the deck side of the tub. This means that I have to crawl under my deck to open the door and work on it. I believe the rule states that the disconnect for the tub must be >5ft from the tub and in line of site from the tub. The most convenient place for me to put the disconnect box is under the deck where the cable will come out of the crawl space of my house. I have to go under the deck anyway to work on the tub so is it ok to put the disconnect there? I do not want the disconnect box above my deck where everyone can see it. The disconnect box is one of them pre-assembled outdoor spa boxes. It contains a 50A gfci breaker. In the house I have a dedicated 50A breaker. Thanks for any help in advance. I was going to post a picture of the location, but the picture site won't let me yet.
Regards,
Jason

J
This is at my house (single-family home) in WI.

G
The reason for the 5' distance is to prevent being able to contact the switching device while in contact with the water. I believe that if this is under the deck and the "reach path" distance is greater than 5' you meet that requirement but the view of your AHJ may be different. What did they say at plan review?

680.12 ...Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Accessability may be an issue with the AHJs acceptance of the disco being under the deck. The fact that the OP mentioned 'crawling under the deck' may be the key.

John
G
Since the disconnect is for maintenance and that requires being under the deck anyway, I don't see the issue ... unless you also want "working space". If it was someplace else, would it be within sight of the guy working on the spa?

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Being able to access the disco has reared its head up here a few times. Comments were 'it has to be accessable'; I can't see it';'it must be accessable to medical personel';'I do not crawl';.......etc.

The above are a few of the comments that an EC would call me, regarding 'other towns'.

'Readily accessable' can be subjective, as enforced by some inspectors. Having to 'crawl' under a deck to access the tub terminations & the disco sound like "I don't crawl"!! (Turn the tub 90/180 degrees)

I wonder how a spa tech would feel about crawling to get to the tub access??

John
G
You can see why I suggested his AHJ has the only opinion that counts. wink
I can easily see a disconnect that has a 5+ ft reach path and is still accessible without actually entering the crawl space under the deck. It was not stated how wide the deck is.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard