ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 464 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2104 06/23/01 09:25 AM
A
I recently failed an inspection for low voltage cable buried in a wall. the cable is for undercabinet lights in a kitchen. It originates under the sink (trans location)and goes to the upper cab. locations. The wire is rated 300 volt, and will only use 12volt, also will fuse secondary side of trans @ 20a (12-2lv cable). Inspector says no good and that i must run romex,but this will call for an unnecessarry splice. Who`s wrong here? thanks

#2105 06/23/01 08:30 PM
Tom Offline
Welcome to this forum, I hope that it is as positve an experiance for you as it is for me.

You didn't tell us what type of cable you're running. The 300 volt rating doesn't mean a thing in this case. See 411-4. If your cable is not one of the wiring methods allowed in Chapter 3, you're out of luck. I've had plenty of salesmen at the home center (or cabinet mfg) claim that zip cord is OK, they're dead wrong.

Your inspector was remiss in his duties, he should have given you the code section that covered this violation.
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 06-23-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#2106 06/23/01 09:27 PM
A
Tom thanks for the welcome. After further checking i was wrong it is 150v cable, but either way it is underground low energy cable. Obviously zip cord is not even thought of!! This stuff is direct bury rated.My other thought is if i use romex like he sugested i will have to have a splice to go too this cable anyway for my lights are seagul tracks that use this wire.

Link Copied to Clipboard