ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
The latest issue of TAEI News reporst some of the changes in the new edition of the NEC. These changes include:

1) Expanding GFCI requirements to every receptacle in laundry areas. This does not seem to limit the requirement to the "laundry circuit." Since laundry equipment is typically mingled with other uses (such as being in a 'mechanical room), expect lively discussion as to what, exactly, is the "laundry area;"

2) Dishwashers to be GFCI protected;

3) Laundrys and kitchens to be AFCI protected as well;

4) A specific provision allowing the use of an extension cord to power new outlets. This accommodates a 'kit' that is sold to power a proper receptacle for the flat-screen TV, using an "inlet" and a cord.
While the kits are simply a collection of readily available parts, the code language seems to require the purchase of a 'listed' kit, and forbids your assembling the exact same kit from parts already on your truck;

5) The requirement for a neutral at switches has been complicated;

6) Introducing the idea of "extra duty" covers and boxes. It appears that this change will expand the electrician's problem of telling the difference between a listed 'legal' part and a listed 'not allowed' part. Anyone have an aspirin?; and,

7) Certain uses of EMT outdoors will be required to have a ground wire. This gem is buried in Article 440.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other little surprises as the new code unfolds.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Reno,

I will be the first to get into this discussion. People who know me also know that I think the NEC doesn't need to be changed every 3 years. Maybe every 5 years would be more appropriate. I also think that too many manufactures sit on the code making panel and sometimes they might push their products into the code before they are properly tested. I think a product should be optional and be out in the general public for maybe 10 years before making it mandatory. The code is trying to make houses "Idiot-Proof" and it just doesn't work that way. You can't fix stupid. As an AHJ, I have to enforce the code but I don't have to like it. You know that lawyers are lurking out there just waiting to sue somebody for something, so most people now a days have to work to cover their butts from lawsuits. I just had a class from the state the other day stating that to be a "Qualified Person", you needed XX amount of hours, class room training, plus you need safety training for falls, heights, ladders, lock out/tag out, OSHA training, and safety training, among other things. It doesn't seem safe to be in business anymore.

Cat Servant
"I have to enforce the code"

No, you don't. You enforce what's adopted - not what some private group proposes. I submit that you have a duty to understand something BEFORE you adopt it.

Let's tune out the NFPA salesmen, who would have you adopt their book, intact, January 1st. Let's read, dissect, discuss the thing before we agree to it.

The main point of this thread is to inspire other threads- threads focused on specific changes.

A secondary point to this thread is to show that the changes affect some pretty basic matters - and not just back-page esoterica.

After all, burying a grounding change in the HVAC section (rather in the grounding section) is sure to surprise a few folks.

"I have to enforce the 'code' as adopted within the NJ UCC, 5:23-3.16"

Also, throw in 5:23-6 (Rehabilitation Subcode) and get more confused.

The '14 should be available in October, CEU classes will probably start in mid Dec or Janaury, on the 'Changes', while still using the '11 and '08. Confusing??

John

Link Copied to Clipboard