ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210151 05/30/13 01:51 AM
T
twh Offline OP
What is the advantage of a phone that has internet access? What can you do with a modern phone that I'm missing? Is it worthwhile getting email to your phone or is that really just another interruption?

twh #210152 05/30/13 02:59 AM
Broom Pusher and
In my work, an Internet Connection via Cellular Device allows me to:

1.: Download Cut-Sheets in the Field,
2.: View &/or Send E-mail Messages in the Field,
3.: Download / Upload Plan Sheet Markups in the Field,
4.: Use for a Mobile Hot-Spot in the Field (Wireless ADSL Connection for my Laptop).

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
twh #210155 05/30/13 09:32 AM
I use email for one of my part time towns, for the contractors to contact me. So far, it has been working OK.
The email account is only for that town, and accessable via my iphone.

During the Sandy storm, the phone was great, as access to internet and landlines was very limited, along with the power issues.

Utilizing wireless devices to maintain important ability to be contacted, or contact others is an asset.

BTW, I do not twitter, facebook, etc.

John
twh #210166 05/31/13 04:01 AM
I use my phone for basically data service. rarely do i have a voice call, I like the hotspot feature for my laptop.

twh #210334 06/11/13 05:31 PM
S
I do not have a cell phone and do not plan on getting one, yet if I were too, I highly recommend getting one with internet access for all of the reasons above and more. They have come a long way and are very usable. It will take some getting used too and you may need a teenager or otherwise experienced user to help you with apps and other vagarities.

One item thing that should go into your decission is the amount of on board memory. I am not referring to how much memory that can be added on, but built into the device. This will be your practical limit and certain apps have to live there along with all the crapware of your service provider (unless you are lucky enough to be able to jailbreak it - another job for the young). As to how much is needed depends on what is preloaded, and what you want to do with the device. Research it on the internet (or have a teenager do it that is not swayed by wanting the best that is out there - then again, with the best you will have fewer issues.

twh #210335 06/11/13 05:59 PM
G
I talked to my wife about this. She is the phone person here.
She says the net capability is great for looking up part numbers, ordering things, checking documents that may be online etc. She also likes the online weather radar and forecasts to plan outside activities like scheduling work on the roof.

If none of this interests you, get a dumb phone like I have.
Here guys also use texting a lot for business communication but just about any phone does that.

Greg Fretwell
twh #219387 06/02/18 04:45 AM
J
It has a lot of benefits.
You can check email anytime from your mobile phone.
You can instantly connect with anyone using various instant messaging applications.
You can stay up-to-date about current affairs of the world.

T
twh Offline OP
Originally Posted by john360
It has a lot of benefits.
You can check email anytime from your mobile phone.
You can instantly connect with anyone using various instant messaging applications.
You can stay up-to-date about current affairs of the world.

That was in 2013. I ended up getting a smart phone shortly after because I covered for a building manager whose tenants would send emails with service requests and I needed to get the requests when I was doing other work. Since then, I bought 2 Blackberrys, an HTC and 2 Samsungs. They don't like being sat on, dropped or, sometimes, being used. They are expensive to buy, expensive to use (just shy of $100 per month for unlimited data, roaming, 911 charges and taxes) and I have to turn off the text and email at night because of spam. I also lose a day with every phone change, even moving between similar makes. I get to spend my spare time looking through the spam to see if anyone important got blocked.

Manufacturers quit including info with their product and I have to download it. Reading VFD instructions on a smart phone sucks as does finding the correct model number. Driving to find wireless service is really inconvenient.

Now, a smart phone is necessary. It's better when I need to make a call - not so much when I get a call.

twh #219395 06/04/18 01:39 PM
I have a collection of devices.
Personal iPhone
Twp. issued sorta smart phone.
Twp. issued Panasonic tablet FZ-G1
Personal iPad
Personal iMac laptop
Personal Toshiba laptop.

4 email accounts

No facebook, no twitter, etc.

It was a lot quieter is the old days with just a beeper and then just a dumb cell phone.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard