ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hi,
I am looking for the requirement for bonding the copper water lines to and from a hot water heater to the main disco, and the bonding required for gas lines..I also have sprinkler lines.

250.104 (B) seems to cover some of this but I recall my inspector making me bond to both copper lines from the water heater and then a bond to the gas meter piping..

thanks

greg

Don't drive and TEXT! Drive now TALK LATER!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I have had this discussion many times and it has been pointed out, the code does not specifically require a bond around the water heater or any other non-conductive fixture.
You can get there with the word "systems" by saying all of the pipe in the system needs to be bonded using the jumpers defined in 250.104 but you still have guys arguing the other side.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

We are having the big big fight again about bonding gas pipe or not bonding gas pipes here in NJ. The National Fuel Code (which is adopted here) states that the gas line must be bonded. I don't have the exact words nearby but, we are suppose to run a bonding conductor from the customer side of the gas line/meter to the grounding electrode of the electrical system. (The ground rods.)

G
I don't see much gas here. I am not sure what they are doing but I am for bonding everything metal.
I bonded my stainless counter top and the back splash.

Greg Fretwell
S
I hear some interesting theories on bonding

The main thing is, not every groundING conductor goes without passing some current

So you bond the gas pipes, and say they land the gas bottle (think rural area) in proximity to your meter & mbj

Methinks you fellas can visualize the circuit .....

~S~

G
Any piece of metal connected to the electrical system, intentionally or unintentionally, will carry some current.
There is no way to stop it.

Greg Fretwell
H
Sparky,

We had a problem with voltage getting on to gas piping several years ago in one of my towns. The gas co. was there to change out the meter and when the tech open up the gas pipe, there was a spark. The tech went nuts and blew the whistle. There were police, and fire dept. and utility people all around the area in minutes.

I think the problem was the neutral broke loose. There were no ground rods, the city water ground clamp was either bad, loose, or missing, so the ground was carrying the neutral load, right back on the gas piping system.

H
There is discussions around this area with bonding of CSST piping. CSST is Corrugated Stainless Steel Pipe, it is that flex yellow pipe or trac (track) pipe which is black colored. Some people think it has to be bonded at the fittings and some don't. Some also think the bond wire should parallel the CSST and some say no it doesn't.

S
Any piece of metal connected to the electrical system, intentionally or unintentionally, will carry some current.
There is no way to stop it.

yeah i know Greg

the poco guys tell me the closer i am to a substation, the more i can expect it too....

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 06/09/13 01:47 PM.
S
Originally Posted by harold endean
Sparky,

We had a problem with voltage getting on to gas piping several years ago in one of my towns. The gas co. was there to change out the meter and when the tech open up the gas pipe, there was a spark. The tech went nuts and blew the whistle. There were police, and fire dept. and utility people all around the area in minutes.

Oh great....

and i can just image them all pointing to me

"there he is!, git 'em "

~S~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard