ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Harold:

Is the 8' Sch 80 for physical damage?

Does that AHJ want Sch 80 fittings?

John
H
John,

As far as I know, the AHJ wants sch 80 for ANY PVC above grade, but below 8' off grade. That includes fittings, and sweeps, and any kind of condolet fittings.

Harold:
FWIW, I just went to the Cantex site, and there are NO Sch 80 fittings, only Sch 40. There are Sch 80 sweeps. I did not look at the condulets, but I never saw a Sch 80 LB.

John
G
I really wonder what "physical damage" that would be stopped by sch 80 and not sch 40.
When is the threat of damage "severe"?
This physical damage thing is so subjective that I think it is more opinion than fact.
It is interesting that if you insist on sch 80 fittings the installer is probably going to a plumbing store. If you see male adapters and couplings a little darker than RNC, they probably came from Fergusons, not Graybar.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

Subjective opinion for sure!

Now, you are starting a 'thing' leading down the path of the 'plumbing' fittings not being UL for electrical use.

That goes with the home made transition fittings (pipe coupling with sealtite fitting, NM connector, etc) debates.

John
G
Now, you are starting a 'thing'

Isn't that what we are supposed to do? wink

The code never gets fixed if people don't question incongruities.
It is also good for the various AHJs to talk to each other to try to make enforcement more uniform.
ECs have a hard enough time understanding all the ramifications of the code without also having different interpretations in every little town they work in.

Greg Fretwell
H
John and Greg,

As I have stated before, this AHJ is in a town next to mine. I was told these "stories" by other EC's at the supply house last week. What is an EC suppose to do? Well I would tell the EC challenge this particular AHJ and take him to the Construction Board of Appeal. Then the board would make a decision and the AHJ would have to live by it. The rumor has it that this AHJ is/was an engineer, but never had practical experience of being an EC out in the field.

I met the man once at a class but we didn't talk.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard