ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
John,

That "Use my stuff and my stuff only!" saying goes for almost all the manufactures. Of course they want us to use their stuff and only their stuff. This discussion also came around with breakers and panel boards. Can you put a square D breaker that looks like an ITE in the Murray panel? Doesn't the ITE panel say to use ITE breakers only? This manufactures discussion can go on for ever. smile

G
The issue of "Use only my stuff" can be traced back to UL.
When a manufacturer sends their product to be tested for listing UL does their battery of tests using the recommended parts, adhesives, sealing compounds, etc.
UL doesn't test every possible permutation of all of the manufacturers unless you pay extra for it. That's why when I was with Appleton you had to use Apelco sealing compound instead of Chico for the explosionproof fittings. Nobody every said that Chico wouldn't work in an Appleton fitting; it's just that there you would end up with something that UL had never tested.
Some manufacturers go out of their way to pay UL to test their products with other manufacturers (replacement circuit breakers spring to mind), but that's the exception not the rule.

Ghost307
The reason I brought the glue thing up was that it was one of those PITA 'discoveries' by an inspector.

A few cans of 'brand X' PVC glue was seen at a jobsite, and that started one of the proverbial crap storms.

Let's not go into the CB debate, that was beaten into the ground numerous times.

John
G
The NEC is really not much help on the glue issue. It just says

352.48 Joints. All joints between lengths of conduit, and
between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes, shall be
made by an approved method.

An AHJ could approve Liquid Nails if it was acceptable to him.

Greg Fretwell
H
John,

Here is another fight I see happening around here PVC conduit is used around here everywhere. Shall not be used
"Where subject to physical damage". As per sec.352.12 (C). So some EC's are running PVC around the house on the outside in a flower bed and were being failed. One AHJ says that he wouldn't allow sch 40 PVC used anywhere below 8'. Another is only allowing sch 80 PVC above ground and you have to prove to this AHJ that all fittings, sweeps, and condolets are sch 80.

Harold:
Last time I looked, there were no Sch 80 fittings.

John
G
You get them at the plumbing store wink

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

They are white looking right? I know I am most likely repeating myself, but years ago I was doing an inspection and the lady asked if she could cover a small portion of a trench in order to get to a shed or a garage. I said she could cover a small part but not too much. Well when I looked in the trench the next day, there was all the white plumbing pipe good for 90 PSI. She was not happy when I failed her and me and my big mouth. I said that it was the wrong pipe and an EC would know that. Then she looked at me and said her husband WAS an electrician.

My guess was that he was either a handy man or maybe a maintenance guy who just changed bulbs. Anyway, I have learned to keep my big mouth shut. (I think)

G
Sch 80 plumbing stuff is dark gray. I agree with John, I have not seen sch 80 RNC connectors but they might be available somewhere. If you need a bend, warm up the truck wink

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Tell that to the AHJ in the next town that wants only sch 80 for any PVC above grade and below 8' high. He fails jobs with out the sch 80. (Or so I was told last week in the supply house.)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard