ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210188 06/01/13 08:23 PM
S
Anybody know of a different splice kit for underground other than the shrink tube type? I don't really like them and figure there's gotta be a better way. I looked at the "Polaris Blue" kind but I haven't found the right one. I've got one 10/3 with ground going to one 10/2 with ground. It was put in a shrink type originally and has lasted probably 20 or more years, but I'd like to replace it with some other kind that's easier and more efficient. This was on a customer's A/C unit. thanks....

K
I think I actually prefer the heat shrink splices compared to the other types I've used.
I tried the Etcon proSplice kits a few times and really did not like them. They are the ones where you screw the two halves of the shell together over the splice block. They felt very cheesy and I just never trusted them to make a reliable watertight direct burial splice.
I've also seen some other splice kits now that look kind of similar to the old style 3M splices where you mix the little bags of epoxy and pour it in the splice tube, but I don't know if those are designed for UF cables where you have the bare EGC to splice.

Etcon proSplice

H
Sparky,

I used to use the ones that KJay talks about with the epoxy. You got a small bag of epoxy and this torpedo looking tube with 2 ports on top. You make your splice, lay it inside the tube, using the funnel that comes with the kit, fill the whole tube up with the epoxy. It used to work just fine for me. They whole splice is encapsulated in epoxy.

M
Sounds like what the Telco Guys use when they do an underground splice.

T
twh Offline

T
Yup, gel splices are highly recommended, as are the epoxy ones.

S
Yep, I'm going to have to try one of the above mentioned. I've used the type with the 2 funnels before on small 16/3 cord, but not on UF cable. I was looking at one at the supply house the other day, and wasn't sure it would work for big 10/3 UF cable. I went with the schrink tube again. Still don't like it using a blow torch. I guess I need to buy me a good heat gun. The blow torch tends to get too hot, and then if I miss a lick, I hit the wire, and they ain't good. ....

K
Sparky, do you use one of these for installing your splice kits?
I started using one of these heat shrink torches several years ago use for the same reason you mentioned. It helps prevent accidentally burning the outer UF jacket and shrink tube. You still could if you're not paying attention, but it produces a much larger, softer flame that is more dispersed than the regular torches they sell at the plumbing supply houses and hardware stores.

Epco Heat Shrink Torch

H
This is the splice kit I have used in the past:

http://www.shop3m.com/80610981567.html

I hope it goes through. The one I used was for regular voltage wires, not high voltage. Though I am sure you could use it.

S
Kjay, I just have one of the regular torches you buy at hardware stores. At the price of the nozzle you posted, I might could buy me a heat gun, don't know though, I haven't priced them yet.
Harold, I used that kind for splicing 16/3, but I don't know if it would work for cable or not. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard