ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by RonKipperDatacom
Hey Doug

Hope you had a great weekend.

That is an interesting tip. You mentioned you clip the wire to the receiver did you mean the transmitter?

Let me know and I'll add it to the list of tips. Take care and thanks for the feedback.

Oops I did mean the Transmitter smile

Broom Pusher and
Hotline1 ("John");

I have to say that Scott deserves an award for eloquence for the above detailed descriptions!!

Danka!!! thanks smile beer cheers

The desire to post replies with elaboarte details is coming back again!

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
J
Received my toner on Friday.

THANKS Ron.

Hey Folks

Thanks for all the feedback on toner and probes. There were actually quite a few good suggestions. It has simply become a tester really anyone in the electrical / electronic industries should have.

Be looking for the tips on my YouTube channel!

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Ron Kipper Datacomm on YouTube
C
Hi how do I get a toner to find a shorted mc cable buried in sheetrock, Do I have to remove the cable connector from the panel to seperate the shield?
I have one circuit to lights that works and the black lead is shorted to the white and green ground, Most of the baseboard plugs have been rewired with either romex or mc.

I want to get a better idea on location before I start opening sheetrock or lath and plaster upstairs.

Thanks Chris

C
The toner I have is a Ideal 62-100 and probe 62-104, I only have one red conductor that I assume is seperate, since that 1/2 still works

G
The best way to find the bad spot (nail strike or whatever) behind the drywall is time domain reflectometry. If you don't have the machine or an oscilloscope you probably have to rent/borrow one.

Greg Fretwell
C
I've got a ShortStop unit, but it does the same as toner, my question is do I have to have two open conductors for it to work, or tone, I. e. one hot conductor and do I need to separate my return/white and green bond metal jacket by removing leads and metal clad from panel box. seems to negate tone when I connect black lead to return white wire or can.

C
Trying to trace the jacket to find where the cable runs, as the inner conductors dont seem to tone past the metal jacket. And all metal boxes are closed behind walls, if buried? No wiring notes exist from original installation. Already tried with power off and tone just the hot and white at panel of suspect circuit.

T
My Greenlee toner emitted clean thru MC on the occasions that I needed it.

I've never seen the Ideal unit in action.

Tesla
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard