ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210006 05/21/13 06:24 PM
G
[Linked Image from i1124.photobucket.com]

This was submitted on another BB asking if it should be reported to the PoCo.

I think we all agree this needs to be fixed but I don't think I have ever seen the drop hung on the surface of the roof. (one anchor broke)

I assume the PoCo will swing a triplex from the mast when they get there.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Is that the remains of the mast insulator on the tight upper wire?

It's hard to tell, but is that the neutral & other phase leg laying on the roof?

John
G
I zoomed this picture and it looks like the service drop was L/N/L across the edge of the roof and the Line insulator closest to the peak broke.
The white wire looping up over the roof looks like it might be TV cable. There is what looks like a 4 way splitter next to the service raceway on the gable end.

I am wondering if this 3 pack of insulators was originally on the fascia and the siding guy moved it when they did the re-skin.
I am sure we have all seen siding guys do strange stuff.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
"Power theft" was my first thought, but ...

Two lines coming from one direction, and the third from another? There's something very wrong going on here. I doubt the connections to the PoCo wires were made by a linesman, even though it does look like crimp connections were made. I'll bet there was no permit on a service change.

By all means, drop a dime- to both city and PoCo. Better yet, e-mail them with this pic- I'll bet it gets their attention.

G
[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell

This was submitted on another BB asking if it should be reported to the PoCo.

I think we all agree this needs to be fixed but I don't think I have ever seen the drop hung on the surface of the roof. (one anchor broke)

I assume the PoCo will swing a triplex from the mast when they get there.
I seem to recall seeing some sort of roof mounted point of attachment thingy, but don't remember where.

POCO answers may depend on where this is.

On Long Island the POCO would not allow point of attachment to a conduit less than 2-1/2" GRC.

They'd have an issue with current point of attachment that can't be reached from a ladder placed on the ground. (looks like a small addition was added there to the right of meter.

My guess is (here) they'd want the POA moved up higher on the roof, or attached to Fascia (if solid support is there) in front of Mast.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Addiss; 05/22/13 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
G
I think FPL will allow the drop to go on a 2" GRC if there is a tieback brace behind it. I am not really sure what size that mast is tho.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
PSE&G minimum is 2" for a mast, unguyed max height of 2 feet above the point of penetration. 2-1/2" is 4', 3" is 7'

The disclaimer within their handbook (Exibit 4) is 'PSE&G assumes no responsibility for damage with this install.

Point of attachment must have 3/4" hole for drop, free conductor length of 24", and no other systems shall be attached to mast.

John
Cat Servant
Editorial comment:

In doing service changes, I find moving the point of attachment from insulators on the structure to the mast a common task. If you have a mast, that's where the wires ought to be attached. Period.

In Nevada, the PoCo supplied the bracket. Here in Arkansas, I get one at the supply house. Either way, the cost is built into the job.

Is it required? Well, that's what the artwork in the PoCo standards shows ... looks like a requirement to me!

G
This is what FPL says

4. Anchorage for Overhead Service Drop Cable or Wires
The Customer shall provide a safe and adequate anchorage for FPL's overhead service drop
conductors at the agreed upon location and height.
FPL will furnish, and the Customer will install, a suitable attachment for the service drop. The
attachment device furnished will vary, to be compatible with the type of building construction (Fig.
IV-6a thru 6c).
FPL WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO THE CUSTOMER'S BUILDING OR
WIRING RESULTING FROM FAILURE OF THIS ANCHORAGE.

You own the pipe, they give you the hanger they want and the cable grip.

They actually bolted on the hanger at my house but they could have made me do it I guess. FPL also gave me the meter base and enclosure but I had to pick it up at their office. On my wife's houses FPL brought them out and installed them when they did the TUG. The builder paid the FPL contractor to run the lateral too. It was cheaper that way. A drop would have been free from FPL.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard