ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NickD Offline OP
I saw this while out and about today and just had to share it... I don't currently have pictures, so I hope a description will suffice. frown

Picture this, a PB installed about 10ft up a wall in a public space... that in itself is not a problem, provided certain provisions are made... but... that's the only thing about the install that's OK. Directly below the board, there is a small, unprotected ledge, about 8ft wide and 18in deep... no railing or anything.

But wait, it gets worse! Below that ledge is a set of double doors which control access to an employees-only area of the store.

So, in summary:
-Panelboard with insufficient frontal clearance
-No fixed means of access
-Unsafe access in general

Thoughts? Have you seen worse? eek

Last edited by NickD; 05/13/13 07:58 PM.
Some areas on PA do not/did not have any permit, inspection, or licensing requirements, so, what you describe does not shock me.

Perhaps, once upon a time there was a mezzinine??

John
NickD Offline OP
To be truthful, there WAS actually a second floor area and the PB was located just around the top of the stairs to the second floor, but the (de)construction that was just completed says that the current situation won't be remedied. The store (a farmer's market) was specifically designed as originally built and the modifications that have been done have left nowhere for the PB to be moved, without a LOT of expensive electrical rework and construction.

It just amuses me, though... it's not that they simply violated code, they violated sense and sensibility too. I am very aware of PA's extremely lax "electrical regulation"... I live right in the thick of it. laugh

Unfortunatley, sense, common sense, and good old brains are not is any codes.

John
W
Some years ago someone posted a picture of a panelboard that was located in the shower of a bathroom. And another posted a picture of a panelboard that had no cover on it, because the gas pipe was in the way...

NickD Offline OP
Hey, at least those are readily accessible... unless someone happened to be using the shower, of course. clap

Administrator
Originally Posted by wa2ise
Some years ago someone posted a picture of a panelboard that was located in the shower of a bathroom...
An Oldie but Goodie....

[Linked Image]

NickD Offline OP
Here she is...

[Linked Image from fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net]

Last edited by NickD; 05/21/13 04:44 PM.
B
Park a scissor lift in front of it and you have great access, and ain't nobody going to open those doors.

Would hate to have that siren go off though with your hands inside the panel.

J
Nick, which Farmer's market is this? I think I was there before...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard