ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Darren Offline OP
Hi,
this should be a simple one to answer.

how much space needs be left open in front of a panel in a residential house?
Are they any other rules that apply as well?

Thanks
Darren

C
Hi Darren,
Whether residential or commerical, section 2-308 still applies. For equipment rated less than 1200A, below are the two applicable rules:

2-308
(1) A minimum working space of 1M with secure footing shall be provided and maintained about electrical equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, control panels, and motor control centres that are enclosed in metal, except that working space is not required behind such equipment where there are no renewable parts such as fuses or switches on the back and where all connections are accessible from locations other than the back.

(2) The space referred to in Subrule (1) shall be in addition to the space required for the operation of drawout type equipment in either the connected, test, or fully disconnected position and shall be sufficient for the opening of enclosure doors and hinged panels to at least 90 degrees.

---

Couple itmes to note that may be usful:
-It is permissible to install electrical equipment in a closet or cabinet, provided that the working clearance described in the rules above are met when the door(s) are opened.

-Installing a panelboard in a location where it would be behind a door (ie: someone could open the door into you while you're working on the panel) would be considered poor practice...although there's nothing in the CEC that says you can't do this.

-Chuck

D
Darren Offline OP
Excellent. I can work with 1M.

I'm relocating my hot water tank as well as my washer/dryer to gain more space in the basement. 1M will easily fit in my floor plan.

Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard