ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
John,

What about5:23-6.8(d)7i ?

L
Is 6/3 romex ok to use within the house it only having a # 10 ground thought it needed to be a #8 insulated ground. From a junction box in the house will be going outside in pvc with 3#6 and 1#8 insulated is this correct? Would the same wiring method be correct for a pool?

Last edited by lite bulb; 04/23/13 09:37 AM.
Harold:
Yes, you hit it based on NJ UCC 5:23 Rehab. It is not widely known that the adoptions/exceptions are in there by a whole lot of people.

I did not mention this in the thread as the OP (Lite Bulb) is in Delaware.

All that said, my take is if the EC conforms to the NEC Article 680, that is his/her decision. Honestly, I don't think anyone has called this exception out.

John
Lite Bulb:
The 'bond' conductor has to be #8 solid copper. The EGC (equipment ground) has to be sized based on the OCP of the branch circuit.

John
S

NFPA issued a TIA on perimeter bonding of Hot Tubs outdoors in early 2011...

http://www.nfpa.org/Assets/files/AboutTheCodes/70/TIA70-11-1.pdf

The TIA should be adopted by the State to be valid.

I disagree with the change.

shortcircuit

L
That clears it up thanks for the help.

H
Shortcircuit,

Let me get this straight, the TIA says the equalbonding grid is not required if installed as per manufactures instruction on or above grade. However you said that you disagree?
Is that correct?

S
Yes Harold..."IMO"...I disagree with the change. I believe the change was driven by the hot-tub industry because of the cost to install the grid in some cases.

G
This is the kicker and it is just a big wet for the spa industry.

The vertical measurement from all permanent perimeter surfaces
within 30 horizontal inches (76 cm) of the spa to the top
rim of the spa is greater than
28 inches (71 cm).

If the rim is >28" you drop the tub, plug it in and you are out of there. There are still other 680 rules but none that have you chipping concrete.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
We have the 'stray voltage' issue arise with ONE type on pre-fab IN-ground pool, and the code Nazis go nuts, wanting an equipotential grid for every puddle of water ... be it pool, hot tub, decorative pond, whatever. How they managed to overlook the common bathtub puzzles me; maybe that's in the next edition.

IMO, the TIA is on-target, and this quest to 'grid' all is an abomination.

Maybe the code panel will discover that - gasp! - the most common brands of spas and hot tubs are not listed by anyone. Period. I find it interesting that Jacuzzi, et al, have managed to produce these things for decades without the help of outside 'experts.'

Could it be that our understanding is what is lacking?

You can "drop" a hot tub anywhere. It's self-contained, no less an appliance than a refrigerator. I see no need to demand building / property changes, any more than if someone put a fridge on their patio.

Oddly enough, there's even a LISTED tub out there that is so portable it comes with a cord & plug! How can you 'grid' for something you can move from patio to garage to bedroom at will? (It's marketed to tenants, and others who might want to 'take it with,' and avoid the need for special circuits).

The pumps, and any other source of electricity to the tub, are grounded at their connection to their power source. I note that EVERY picture posted here of an 'unsafe' hot tub show major errors in the supply wiring - and not of the tub itself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard