ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#209457 04/03/13 07:09 PM
Let's see if this gets any action!

Gripes with your local Inspector/AHJ??

John
S
When the fed stimulus train came to town, they looked the other way on everything i was led to believe sacred

Worse than violating everything they supposedly stand for, they sucked up to big money from out of town because the politicans (up to our govenor who spoke on the project)who invited them in turned out to be theives who took the local trades to the tume of almost $2m

They broke my little boy scout heart , and i will always view them differently the rest of my days

~S~

OK, this is what I'm trying to accomplish with a few threads...generate some activity here!!

Thanks for jumping in ~s~!!

Haven't heard from you in a while.

John
S
Thanks for allowing me (et all) to vent a bit HotOne

~S~

~s~:
Just trying to generate some activity here. The fact that there are many, many "guests' on site, and low activity is amazing.

Venting is good for the soul (and blood pressure) so jump in anytime.

John
B
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Let's see if this gets any action!

Gripes with your local Inspector/AHJ??

I would be happy if they just knew the code.

BigB:

Care to embelish on your comment a little bit??

John
Cat Servant
Did I ever tell you about the time I was offered an inspector job?

Applying in a major city with a legacy of (no surprise) of corruption, I took the first test in a room filled with folks in natty suits and city uniforms. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think I was the only applicant with any trade background. The others were either city employees (who had preference) or eager graduates of various 'certified inspector' career paths.

After all the various hoops were jumped through, I placed 7th. on the list ... and was ultimately offered the job. Mind you, by then the economy had tanked and the job was placed on 'hold.' Two years later the job opened up again, and I was contacted. Having sunk roots elsewhere by then, I declined.

The man the city hired was arrested seven months later, and charged with corruption.

Imagine that. Not that the city didn't try, what with their screening process, background checks, and whatnot.

Power corrupts. There's financial corruption, and there is corruption of the soul - where a man begins to think he's no longer a mere mortal. As some wag once said, the abuse of power is always in the right hands. From the chief executive who expects all the pomp of a Pope, to the lowliest clerk who terrorizes everyone with the paperwork.

Reno:
Thanks for the comments.
Us inspectors up here are required to be State Licensed to apply for any jobs. There are tests (and courses) to take. 3 grades of Electrical Insp Lic, then 'Subcode' which is the Administrative, or 'Chief Inspector' spot. Experience is the field is a requisite.

As to the corruption, yes, NJ has/had issues. Recently a Building Insp was caught with $25 worth of copper in his Twp truck. He probably will loose the job ($85K) and the 17+ years. Don't know if it was wire, pipe or ?? just described as 'copper'.

Payoffs, bribes, etc., yes over the years we had our share.

John
Cat Servant
As I see it, there are at least three different types of corruption. Most folks overlook the third, which is the most insidious.

The three are:
1) Demanding personal gain for your approvals;
2) Being offered something for your approval; and,
3) Administering your own agenda.

For example, there is one city (Gary, In.) whose Police Chief refused to allow the carry of firearms in his city, despite state laws and court rulings to the contrary.

While not as clearly documented, neighboring Chicago has a long reputation for their licensing, and inspections, being solely focused on looking for the IBEW sticker. Their entire city administration has a well-documented history of irregularities in zoning, permits, and inspections.

Likewise, there are countless tales out there of administrative capriciousness. For example, my very first permit application ran into problems because the plans were on the wrong size paper - despite the fact that I had specifically asked the same clerk, beforehand and in the presence of his boss, if the size I planned to use was acceptable. Oops. I'm sure they both had a real good chuckle at my expense.

Such little 'jokes' are the best proof of power corrupting. After all, you can't take your business elsewhere.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard