ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
There was a Dayton instruction booklet in the box with my new motor. It was pretty thick and I hoped it had all the wiring diagrams for Dayton motors or something else useful.
Nope, just the regular stuff in 3 languages but there was a chart labeled "minimum wire size".
It is designed to hold starting current (LRA?) under 5%. That is some scary stuff, like a 1/2 HP motor 50 feet from the panel requires #8.

I hope inspectors don't start calling this a 110.3(B) requirement.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Such a wire schedule must have been written by an attorney.

BTW, induction motors always pull the system voltage down more than 5% during start up -- though for a very brief moment of time.

After all, an induction motor -- upon connection -- is a bolted short.

Tesla
S
Greg, you read the instruction manual? Must we take your "man" card away?...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
In order for a 110.3(B) issue, the mentioned document must be made available to the inspector? Right?

Now, IF you wired it with #12 at 60', would you provide this document to the inspector?

On the other side of the fence, how many inspectors would ask for motor mfg docs, as opposed to looking at the nameplate data??

John
That's how instruction manuals are these days... nothing but a little bit of useless information repeated over and over in several different languages. I think the record number I've seen is nine (9!). shocked
Of course... the English section is usually laughably flawed, in spite of it all. clap

Makes you wonder if they'll ever consider amending or dismissing 110.3(B).... rolleyes

Originally Posted by HotLine1
In order for a 110.3(B) issue, the mentioned document must be made available to the inspector? Right?

Now, IF you wired it with #12 at 60', would you provide this document to the inspector?

On the other side of the fence, how many inspectors would ask for motor mfg docs, as opposed to looking at the nameplate data??

+1!

Last edited by NickD; 03/24/13 02:20 PM.
My last request for mfg info related to equipment being installed in a cabinet shop. Relocated from another town, and 95% is 'aged'. Lack of any readable nameplate data (in english), or sign of any NRTL labeling, I requested that some data is required.

Long story short, wow did they supply data; in english and korean! A manilla file folder for each piece of equipment at least 25+pages in each. Useful?? Time will tell.

John
G
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Greg, you read the instruction manual? Must we take your "man" card away?...

Well I didn't read it until 4 days after I installed the motor, does that count?

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Well I didn't read it until 4 days after I installed the motor, does that count?
I guess we can let it slide this time... thumbs

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Well Gents, it appears that as inspectors we are going to have to cave in a little bit when it comes to Signs in Article 600.33.

I can just see the expression on the installers face when I ask him for the instructions. Then when I tell him it is required he is going to Freak.

George Little
G
George
As for coming up with the instructions,

The technology has arrived. A young guy would Google it up and show it to you on the phone. wink

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard