ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
3 members (Scott35, ampherder, sabrown), 145 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
I honestly can't say if there is a poop factor involving GFCI's. if any pre-smart GFCI's still pass with hitting the "Test" button, its good enough to keeps its UL listing so it should still be good.

Granted, to also maintain its listing, it has to be used IAW the manufacturer's instruction so in sure every home owner that has a GFCI are testing them weekly...
thumbs

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I agree with Sparky. The test button is the determining factor on whether an AFCI or GFCI is still working. If test trips it and reset resets it the device is working, at least as far as a user can tell. I can think of no reason why time changes the operation. It is not like a radioactive sensor in a smoke detector that can just get old or a sensor chamber that can become contaminated over time.

There might be an argument made that replacing older technology devices with a newer one was worth doing.

Greg Fretwell
S
It's been a few years but when I looked into the whole Smart GFCI thing, UL was stating that it was OK to use up existing stock of "old" GFCI's and there was no time limit or deadline. If it still tests good, it's good enough for me

Cat Servant
I do wish folks would stop drinking the Kool-ade ...

The test button is NOT the 'determining factor on whether a GFCI works. GFCI's work using a rather simple principle, one that is readily duplicated using simple test equipment. One need not rely only on the test button. (Leaving circuits without ground wires aside).

The statement is correct regarding AFCI's, for reasons that are becoming plainer each day. The primary reason you can't 'test' and AFCI with any certainty the test is any good is because the things are NEVER tested against any sort of an arc.

I will submit the opinion here that science demands that features be readily tested anywhere, anytime, by anyone with repeatable results. Relying upon the 'test' button is a sham- for all we know, the device is a fake and the button but a switch.

I also submit that we should NEVER mention GFCI's and AFCI's together, as if they have anything in common. To do so only sheds doubt on the GFCI.

S
I agree Reno. However, I dug into this a few years ago because my tester sad it was bad and the test button ssaid it was good. As long its wired properly and the test button trips the device, its still considered good and safe even if a portable tester doesent trip it.

Besides, I like Kool-aid...

We chech GFIs with a bugeye tester, and AFCI with the 'test' switch on the CB. We tried a AFCI 'tester' which did not provide satisfactory results.

The 'tester' is/was marketed as an 'indicator' or something similar. It lasted for two (2) operations and failed due to what the tech described as component overheating. The device was 'not rated' for repetative operation, it requires a 'cool down' between uses. Returned to the supplier for refund, as it turned out the units were on recall or something.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard