ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Meadow #214445 12/09/14 03:28 PM
D
dsk Offline
Historical it has been used many different systems.
Halden had 40 Hz, Svalbard 25Hz, Rjukan had the 127/220V as you mention.

At home I have 230V 3 phase IT. When no errors in the network I measure 127V to ground. The 3 phase meter meters current in 2 legs.

At our cabin we have 3 phase 230V TT, I Guess this are tapped on the legs of a 400V transformer since the transformer was changed when some in the neighborhood built houses with 400V TN-C-S

The cabin are built on on solid rock, (in/on?? a little island of soil) In a dry summer its not good enough grounding to release the 30 milliamp GFCI when grounding a leg. I feel that's pretty safe. :-)

dsk #214446 12/09/14 05:49 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
This are definitely interesting, and it was detected currents in the ground in Oslo when the subway in Stockholm in 1950 was started. (417 kilometers away and supplied with 750V DC)

Still this are considered as a non existing problem.

I'm a educated as a mechanical engineer, but have dealt pretty much with electro...

When we consider our traditions with IT systems, these problems are not of importance .... ????

I see lots of equal sides to your 277/480V systems, and your 208 delta's

Perhaps not an apparent problem, but IMO a step back. 230 volt IT does not produce stray currents since all load current is carried on insulated conductors, but the system that replaces it with TN-C-S does. Backwards IMO for one of the most advanced countries on Earth.

Personally I would use TN 3x230+PE for home and light commercial networks while using TN-S 400Y/230+N+PE for large commercial/industrial.

Our 208 volt system are not delta rather 120/208Y. Our deltas are 240 volts but rare in new construction. Both our 277/480 and 120/208 is TN-C-S. TN-C is used everywhere by utility companies even in the high voltage side. Never liked it but that is how it is.

M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
I don't think TN-S is systematically used in any country of the world these days since it simply isn't cost-effective. It's either TT (at the cost of high loop impedance) or TN-C (at the cost of stray current issues).

Berlin sort of had TN-S for a while because some areas were supplied with 127/220 V and the PEN was only used as an earth conductor since there were no 127 V loads.

Most places had single-phase meters only and 220 V loads were connected across the two lives. However, only one of the lives was measured, so thrifty people connected one wire of a socket to the central heating pipes or cold water plumbing, thus creating their own neutral, and plugged in stuff set to 127 V. Voila, free power if connected to the right leg of the supply! Illegal and unsafe of course, but there are always some morons, no matter where you go.

If I am correct, doesn't Finland or Sweden use TN-S?

In the states everything under the NEC is TN-S (its mandatory) but when you get to utilities TN-C is used because of capitol economy.

Meadow #214449 12/10/14 07:39 AM
D
dsk Offline
I do not know much about Sweden and Finland, but they have "always" had 230/400V with N

Once in Sweden I had an expensive experience:
We installed same single phase equipment, some PC's etc and suddenly we got a "smoke leakage" The 3 phase supply had a small fuse on the N conductor, so we got nearly 380V at the 230V single phase outlets! Usually they only have fuses/breakers in the live wires in Sweden.

I have no clue about the Swedish or Finnish codes.

Meadow #214450 12/10/14 03:34 PM
T
In the states everything under the NEC is TN-S (its mandatory) but when you get to utilities TN-C is used because of capitol economy.

Well not quite, up to the main panel it's technically TN-C so the whole system is TN-C-S. And until recently range and dryer circuits were entirely TN-C if I'm not mistaken.

I think Sweden historically had a mix of TT and TN-C but generally favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

These days it's nearly impossible to create a room without earth potential with metal air ducts, central heating pipes in case of hot water heat, antenna wire shields, network cable shields etc. etc.

D
dsk Offline
......favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

These days it's nearly impossible to create a room without earth potential with metal air ducts, central heating pipes in case of hot water heat, antenna wire shields, network cable shields etc. etc.

This way of thinking was the rule her in Norway too, even with pretty good grounding trough steel tubes for central heating, grounded coax on the antenna systems etc. The rule was no grounding needed if it was at least 2 m (=yd) from a grounded surface to the outlet.

By experience I may tell touching a single live wire standing on a surface of a PVC floor are at least unpleasant :-)

But even older American buildings has 2 pin outlets.

Meadow #214452 12/10/14 06:20 PM
D
dsk Offline
If we really should go historical, Oslo's first hydroelectric power plant opened 1900. 1.8 MW 46.6Hz 4 wire 2 phase (90deg).
High voltage 5kV to a secondary plant for making 2*110V dc
pictures: http://tinyurl.com/ohobbzt

M
Meadow Offline OP

Well not quite, up to the main panel it's technically TN-C so the whole system is TN-C-S. And until recently range and dryer circuits were entirely TN-C if I'm not mistaken.

[quote]

Correct, but only because that section is fed by pocos which is governed by the NESC. But if the transformer was customer owned the service would fall under separately derived requiring TN-S. Up until 1996 ranges and dryers could ground through the neutral but its no longer done. Other than that (and technically overhead line work/systems over 600volts) TN-C is forbidden.

[quote]I think Sweden historically had a mix of TT and TN-C but generally favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

That is interesting, I never thought about it that way.

dsk #214454 12/11/14 07:06 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
......favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

This way of thinking was the rule her in Norway too, even with pretty good grounding trough steel tubes for central heating, grounded coax on the antenna systems etc. The rule was no grounding needed if it was at least 2 m (=yd) from a grounded surface to the outlet.

By experience I may tell touching a single live wire standing on a surface of a PVC floor are at least unpleasant :-)

But even older American buildings has 2 pin outlets.

Yup, even until the early 60s some buildings did not have grounding outlets. Our ranges and ovens had none grounding outlets until 1996, but simply used the neutral to ground. A bad idea, but that is how it worked.

dsk #214455 12/12/14 09:08 PM
A
I'm confused what voltage do you get from phase to earth and phase to phase. Thanks

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard