ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
renosteinke #209168 03/11/13 10:00 PM
mb:
That is one of the main reasons; high costs of inventory. Guy that used to be down by me was last buying fron a nationwide MRO type, (WWG) and was having a tough time justifying the $$$ he had to charge for resale.

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
renosteinke #209170 03/12/13 11:02 AM
G
It sounds like it's time to re-implement the co-op concept and group your orders with other businesses, even if they're technically your competitors, in order to reduce the shipping and inventory costs.
It may mean cooperating with people you don't like, but it's better than going out of business entirely and letting the big box stores rule the entire area.

Ghost307
renosteinke #209171 03/12/13 12:14 PM
G
The closest we have to that is Ace Hardware where one guy owns 2 or 3 franchised stores. The only real advantage that they have is service and it allows them to carve out a little niche here in geezer land. They really do try to have at least a few people there who know what you are holding when you walk in and if they actually sell what you need.
It is definitely not geared to compete with a supply house for trades but a maintenance operation like my wife runs is one of their best customers.

Greg Fretwell
renosteinke #209172 03/12/13 05:15 PM
Cat Servant
Don't misunderstand me: price is a factor. It's just not the ONLY factor. Paying ANY price, even accepting somethig free of charge, is no bargain if it does not do what you need it to do. No matter how cheap it is.

I've had folks suggest / advocate all manner of totally inappropriate, ineffective 'cheap' solutions to various household problems. "Solutions" so far off the map I was astounded; I'll admit I never thought of them!

Leaking roof? I had someone seriously suggest getting a blue tarp and a bucket of tar. That, IMO, was even less acceptable than spending all winter chasing leaks around the house, as the old roofing failed. Mind you, the tarp was suggested as a LONG TERM solution - not as an emergency fix untill the roofer could get there.

No laundry hook-ups? Just dump the wash water in the back yard. It's gray water, it's 'legal.' Or, if you prefer, dump it into the crawl space- no one will know. (Gee, I wonder why we have a mosquito problem!). Plumbers are 'too expensive.'

Let's just slap vinyl siding over the old asbestos-cement shingles with the lead paint on them. That will make the lead and asbestos issues disappear. It's cheaper than taking all the old stuff off and sending it to the landfill. Heck, the moment I say 'tear off,' I can almost hear the local siding contractors slam down the phone. Heck, some do that when I say "Hardiplank."

I asked a REAL contractor about getting a terrazo floor in my bathroom - and he countered with vinyl tiles. For an open shower! Let's get this straight: I specifically ask for the expensive option - and he offers the cheapest, and totally inadequate. product? Huh? That's like having the BMW salesman offer you a Tata (Indian $5K car).

Small wonder, then, that I came home to find the PoCo taking pictures of my service change. I guess they don't see too many with steel periscopes, additional guy wires, and proper roof jacks. (Yes, SEU is allowed here).

renosteinke #209177 03/12/13 06:33 PM
G
Originally Posted by renosteinke

No laundry hook-ups? Just dump the wash water in the back yard.

My washing machine has been dumping out on the ground behind the garage for 30 years. The Bananas love it.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard