ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#209020 03/03/13 07:33 PM
G
Okay, so here's my next question: Can a switched receptacle be on a small appliance branch circuit for dining room lighting?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
IMO...no. 210.52(B)(2) says no other outlets can be on the small appliance branch circuits

G
Interesting question.

You need to have a luminaire, switched as your required lighting outlet to satisfy 210.70)A)(1)ex1 so who is to say that it is a lighting outlet if it was on one of two SA circuits?
210.52 tends to be contradictory. On the one hand they want 2 dedicated 20s serving the counter top, then they say you can pick up just about every other receptacle in the kitchen, dining room, pantry etc on those circuits.
The handbook does show a switched lighting outlet (receptacle) on a 15a general lighting circuit.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

When I was in business, I would run about 3 different circuits to the kitchen. On one circuit, I would pick up 2-3 recpt. in kitchen and some in dining room. On another circuit, I would pick up 2-3 recpt. in kitchen then pick up some breakfast nook recpt. The last kitchen circuit would stay in the kitchen and they would have 3-4 recpt on it. Depending on the size of the kitchen.

G
I have seen some scary expensive houses that only had 2 for all of the required rooms. (kitchen, dining and a nook)

They also picked up 3 baths (counters) on one 20.

I was amazed at where some builders will save a buck.

Greg Fretwell
I have to agree with Shortcircuit & say 'No', IF that circuit is one of the two required.

If it is an 'additional' 20 amp circuit then I feel it would be OK.

As to the bath receptacles all being on one circuit, compliant but a terrible design, and could be a major inconvenience for the occupants.

John
G
I wonder if George's question comes down to whether a small appliance receptacle outlet can be switched? You already have the required lighting outlet.

Greg Fretwell
G
I'm going to go with Greg, Short Circuit and Hot line's answers. One can not switch a receptacle on a 20a. SAC to satisfy the lighting outlet requirement mentioned in 210.70. It might be a stretch because the dining room is not mentioned in the exception but the wording in 210.52(B)(2) is pretty clear "No Other Outlets" meaning no lighting outlets. IMHO.

George Little
George:
IF someone wanted 1/2 of a DR outlet switched for convenience, as in controling whatever was plugged into the 1/2, that would be compliant. (Using a 20 amp listed switch)

What say you?? Opinions appreciated.

John
H
John,

I think I would have to pass that type of install if I saw it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard