ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#209011 03/03/13 01:26 PM
H
Anyone out there have horror stories about generators? Here in NJ people are installing them everywhere. In one town alone, I have already inspected almost 60 gens. in just 2 months. That doesn't even count what we did last year. The poor EC's out there are getting different answers about the gens in different towns. Some EC's can't get past the permit stage in some towns. Keep in mind that these are just Optional stand by systems. Not required systems.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
There is a North Carolina inspector on one of the other BBs (InspectPA) who makes a case that virtually none of these homeowner grade generator installations are legal. (No breaker interlocks, no unlisted generators etc) On the other hand he has no problem with just about anything you can do with cords (hot wiring the furnace fan etc)

We had an interesting discussion and just agreed to disagree

Greg Fretwell
S
1 gen-set I had to straighten out was a generac 17kw unit an installer had placed 18inches from the dwelling...which is allowed with their listed unit...but he had the exhaust end pointing at the dwelling!

The gas was hard piped into the unit without the 12inch flex hose.

The SE rated transfer switch didn't have the GEC relocated to it.

The grounds and neutrals were not seperated at the now sub-panel.

They used 18-6 bell wire for the controll, utility sense wiring.

H
I have heard that one town here in my county won't allow the genset to be installed anymore. They claim that there is not enough gas pressure to go around. Another town did the same thing but only on 1 street.

S
Not enough gas? I never thought of that Harold. But if you think about it, all those generators add up to alot of fuel consumption.

But, would a property owner be able to hook up a gen-set to their own propane storage tank?

The natural gas issue is important. One case of a resi gen that started & ran, but...the neighbors standing pilot lights all went out resulting in a no heat issue, broken pipes & a damaged (water) basement as no one was in that home.

We have a 'load calc' that has to be submitted to PSE&G (Gas & Electric Utility) and another that goes to Elizabethtown Gas, depending on the area for gas utility.

Yes, whole house gens are plentiful. I don't have a count on the permit apps just for gens, but we are over 1000 for jan & Feb.

John
H
Another horror story I heard was an EC went to install a genset and the zoning officer wanted a survey of the property as to where the genset was going to be placed. OK, the EC said, I will draw up a plan. The Zoning officer said NO. He wanted a survey signed and sealed by a land surveyor. The EC said that it could cost over $1000, but the zoning officer didn't care. No survey, no genset.

Harold:
FWIW, the first stop for anyone applying for a permanent gen install, is our Zoning Officers Office. A COPY of a survey is required, indicating the proposed gen location. This is required for setback dimensions.

After Zoning, they come to the Building (Construction) Dept for Fire, Elec, Plumb & Building Permit apps.

John
H
John,

Will your town accept a hand drawn survey or do they require signed and sealed survey?

G
They want a plot plan here but not a stamped survey

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard