ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
some time back (fall?) there was a discussion about preferences for residential service panelboards....someone was recommending a Cutler Hammer model....now that I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased my own home I want to install a new service but cannot find that thread about the Cutler Hammer panels...? can someone point me to that thread or re-recommend some of those models?
thanx for any help.

Dana:
Can't direct you to the thread, but...
IMHO, if it's my house..Square D: QO, 200 amp, 40 circuit.
CH isn't bad, but now it's "Challenger" with a CH label..they are merged.
PS: Good luck with the house, and congrats.
John

John
H
Dana,

Cutler Hammer has been a good service power. They have a good track record. So does Square D as John has pointed out.

Harold

D
thanx guys - I've always preferred Sq. D for all my commercial work, but that thread seemed to indicate CH was doing some cutting edge work with 'smart homes', etc....just wanted to looked into it a little closer.

C
Are you looking for a Combination Service Entrance Device or just a load center? In general I like the Square D CSED's over Cutler Hammers. I'm located not far from you and have a pretty good feel of what equipment is locally stocked and worth buying. Let me know exactly what you looking for and I'll be happy to give you my input.

Curt

Curt Swartz
S
SJT Offline
I allways put in the Murray brand myself. Good luck with your house. The next one I do for myself, I think I would go with a good brand and copper bus. They look good and you know you have a good connection. I may start to use them also for the Business.

H
I'm with Hotline - SQD QO 200 amp - 40 space 40 circuit value pack - 183 bucks at Big Orange - hey - gotta go where the deal is...my supplier can't seem to get it - they are still telling me there is no such thing - LOL!

Happi:

This is not a "threadjack".

Just a "FYI", I didn't mention the "Big Orange". For what it's worth, I'm a loyal customer of two local electrical supply houses. And, yes, I shop at "Big Orange" for things for my home, but not electrical supplies. Yes, in a "pinch" my guys will go there to get minor items, if they need it, and the "house" isn't in practical driving distance.

The supply houses have been good to me for many years, and the pricing seems to be OK.
"Big Orange" and "Big Blue" (the "lower one") are driving most of the "local mom and pop" places out of business. "Orange's" prices seem to have crept up around here, as there is very little competition, time will tell if "lower" (Blue) will cause a stir.

John

John
J
JBD Offline
Happi_Man

The value packs are only available at the big box stores.

In Square D's infinite marketing wisdom full-line electical distributors do not have access to them. Same thing goes with pricing, big boxes can have low every day pricing but a full-line distributor needs to have a contract/negotiation.

Is Square D still making QO Combination Services?
My suppliers have told me that the Sq D Combi services have all gone to the Homeline.
(are they pulling my leg?)

The (larger)C-H semiflush UG combinations I've used have had one big flaw. The utility conduit KO will cause your service lateral to come up about 1-1/2" outside the wall framing. Kinda tough here in the world of stucco depth of 1", without a "popout" to cover it.
If you've got a chance to buy a QO combi-service, jump on it. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard