ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208851 02/15/13 11:21 AM
B
BigB Offline OP
Is a shower ceiling considered a wet location or a damp location? Would a fan/fixture located in a shower ceiling have to show the rating in addition to stating that it is suitable for installation above a shower (along with GFCI requirements of course)?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Originally Posted by BigB
Is a shower ceiling considered a wet location or a damp location? Would a fan/fixture located in a shower ceiling have to show the rating in addition to stating that it is suitable for installation above a shower (along with GFCI requirements of course)?
Yes ,It is a wet location.

I believe that all the fixtures rated for a shower area are also marked wet location.

Originally Posted by BigB

Here is the 2011 NEC.

410.10 (D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected
luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting
track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall
be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally
and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or
shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes
the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires
located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub
or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top
of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for
damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to
shower spray.

So the fixtures must be marked at least damp locations.

G
I am not sure where it says GFCI is required.

The handbook says "GFCI protection is required only where specified in the installation instructions for the luminaire."

Greg Fretwell
H
Not unless the manufacture is requiring it? However if you have a very high ceiling above a shower stall, say 15 feet high, would that still be wet location? How about damp location?

Harold:
"Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray."

To a height of 8' takes care of the tall ceilings. However, IF there is a chance the shower could spray up, then...all bets are off, and it's wet.

John
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I am not sure where it says GFCI is required.

The handbook says "GFCI protection is required only where specified in the installation instructions for the luminaire."

I know bath fans are typically rated for use right in the shower if they're downstream of a GFCI. Haven't seen a fixture for that otherwise since we usually do a hi-hat and shower trim.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
BigB Offline OP
Yes I did mean GFCI by manufacturer requirements. Seems the "wet location if subject to shower spray" is a judgement call open for arguement, however it may be a moot point anyway as Leo said the fixtures rated for shower/tub area are all wet location fixtures anyway, and at least all the ones I could find were.

H
John,

OK I agree if there is a chance of spray, then the light should be listed for a damp/wet location. However if you have a ceiling that is say, 15 feet above the shower, it is highly unlikely that if would be subject to water spray. Unless you let little kids with a bad snense of humor using a handheld shower head on "Stream" and shooting it straight in the air. Then in that case, the sink lights might also be subject to wet location, depending on the power of the handheld sprayer. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard