ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208758 02/09/13 11:04 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Here's a picture of a double socket outlet, that is brand new, this pic was sent to me by a mate of mine.

It was about to be fitted, when it was noticed it had a slight "manufacturing defect" : frown

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Great to see quality control are doing their job!

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/09/13 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I'm not too familiar with AS/NZ sockets but... black (neutral) and yellow/green (earth) jumpers mixed up/ terminals mislabeled?

G
That is not from around here either but the right screw on the red wire appears to be out all the way.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah sorry guys, I forgot to mention that the socket was from Australia.

Oddly enough, Greg, the screw on the phase wire is meant to be un-done, it is so that the electrician can twist their sub-circuit cable onto that link and terminate it in that tunnel terminal, I believe the other screws on the neutral and earth screws on that particular socket are also loose.

Ragner has it though, the neutral and earth jumpers are installed around the wrong way.

This would have been picked up though in the normal "test before livening" process we all have to use over here.
If that hadn't have been done, the RCD protecting the circuit would have tripped until that transposition had been removed.

Trumpy:
So you are allowed to terminate two (2) conductors within one of those tunnel terminations?

John
T
Trumpy...

The colors are wrong...

But the connections are not transposed -- at least not internally.

One might expect that the electrician would swap the jumpers and that would be the end of it.

I'm shocked that any device would have manually installed jumpers -- these days.

As for the geometry, that's one weird device.

(BTW, it's as common as dust for non-electricians to assume that ground = black because that is the convention with most automobile schemes. Green and green with stripes is used as a 12 VDC 'hot' circuit all over the harness.)

That assumption kills, every year.

American electricians always have to be on the alert with imports. World-wide the color conventions really shift.

Hence, guys working in Iraq and Afghanistan found it confusing. It was not uncommon for ciruits to cross conventions as American gear was patched on top of French or German equipment/ old work.

Tesla
T
Well it would have been a problem if anyone connected the supply wires according to the jumper colours. Classic instant darkness device if the lights and sockets are on the same RCD laugh

I found something similar in a friend's kitchen a few months ago. I was called because touching the dishwasher and stove at the same time would cause an electric shock. I tested all kitchen sockets and one of the sockets immediately tripped the RCD as I pressed the "Test" button on my tester. Turns out someone had extended the old live and neutral wires with black and blue but left the red earth. The moron who installed the new socket didn't realise this and connected the socket to blue and red (presumably mistaking red for brown). As far as I know this socket was installed by the cleaning lady's husband.

As there were some other DIY specials the kitchen was entirely rewired.

Link Copied to Clipboard