ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208685 02/06/13 01:05 AM
P
pooL8 Offline OP
Thinking of starting my own pre-apprentice course (non-accredited). Something like 4 sessions at 3 hours each.
I would do this privately at my home or the student's home.

We'd go over tool usage, basic wiring for residential and commercial, some code, some diagrams, some improvising based on the students ability. Get to know them, see what direction they want to go, and steer them that way. Etc.

Upon completion, they get a reference from me for their resume.

I was looking at the Pre-apprenticeship course here in B.C. Canada, and it's 24 weeks full-time at a college, and nearly $4000 with books!

I'm just looking to help someone get a job.

Do you think that there would be interest for this kind of thing in the general public?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
pooL8 #208688 02/06/13 02:58 AM
A few comments

http://www.tru.ca/calendar/current/12211.htm#o11984

The program is designed to prepare the student for employment in the electrical or related fields in residential, commercial and industrial environments. Due to market conditions, not all Construction Electrician Foundation graduates are able to find apprenticeships locally. Graduates willing to relocate to the Lower Mainland, the Okanagan, Northeastern BC or Alberta enjoy excellent employment prospects.

Graduates of the Electrical Foundation program receive credit for first year apprenticeship technical training

Costs

The current estimated costs for the 24-week program include:

Tuition $2070
Student and Lab Fees $710
Books $350
Tools approx. $400

So if they get a student loan they start at a 3rd term wage rate if I am reading this correctly

pooL8 #208689 02/06/13 03:05 AM
If you're looking to just get people who are interested in the trade better prepared for the apprenticeship program, I might see a draw in that for a nominal fee... Kinda lead them to the facet of the trade they'd be best at.(Lineman, wireman, controls, PLC's, etc)

If you're looking to substitute the full apprenticeship program and throw a reference letter out for John Doe being a good prospect for being an apprentice electrician, I'm not sure how that would fly. Especially if BC has any kind of municipal certification requiring the accredited class and CE credits.

pooL8 #208690 02/06/13 03:07 AM
I personally know the instructor for this School

http://www.sprottshaw.com/programs/faculty-of-trades-applied-technology/

So going the proper routes with ITA Certified institutions looks like these students get fast paced into a higher term.

Students can qualify for student loans for this school also

pooL8 #208691 02/06/13 03:07 AM
S
Sounds good but in the US, apprentice training cost. Most apprentices I know and knew struggle to just make ends meet let alone any extra costs of extra training

Don't get me wrong, things may be different in Canada and it sounds like good concept and you may have a potential maker hence the idea. Necessity is the mother of invention. Good luck with it.

I've been kicking around an idea of a code book class to prep wanna be's for their electrical tests

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
I wish we had an option other than just the state apprenticeship program here, which has been dying on the vine now for a number of years......~S~

pooL8 #219372 05/23/18 09:22 AM
K
Great idea and would you include the office and accounting end also?

Link Copied to Clipboard