ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#208646 02/03/13 11:35 PM
S
Because of an error somewhere in my computer, I've had to use my "recovery disk" to take it back to it's original settings. Bought the computer in 2009, so a lot on it is outdated. Before I get the some "147 updates" that it's calling for, I'm kind of hestitant, because I think it may have been one of the later updates that caused my problem.
I'm not sure what version of IE I got. I think it may be version 6.0. I had IE 9 before, so I'll probably download that one again. What are some of your thoughts on the "automatic updates" that Windows suggest? Do most of you leave your automatic updates on, or do you look them over first? Just seeking for some more thoughts before I start loading my computer back up. Most of the updates say "Security Updates", so I would think they would need to go back on. Just wondering what some of you think. Thanks...

Administrator
It's a pain, but I've done it several times without a problem. After the last one I bouhgt a Portable Hard drive that automatically backs things up every weekend.

It will probably be a lot more than 147 updates.

Bill

S
Bill, when I first bought this computer in 2009, I had "automatic updates" turned on. In your opinion, is this the way to go? Also could you tell me how to find out what version of IE I have now? I had IE 9 before and guess I need to download it again. thanks.. Steve

Administrator
First off, I'm far from an expert on this.

You didn't mention what operating system you had. That may determine which MS Explorer you should shoot for.

IMO, newer Explorer on older operating system has caused me more problems than anything else.

I would let it go through its updates and prompt you for newer explorer as it goes along. You may want to get a consensus on all this.

To find out what you have you can click 'help' and 'About Internet Explorer' to find out what version you have.

Bill

G
Is the hard drive bad or is it some other problem?

If the drive is just flaky but still sort of working, you might be able to recover the data with a disk cloning CD like MaxBlast or DiskWizard.
If it is a hardware problem other than the drive you *might* be able just put the drive in another machine and get microsoft to get you around the configuration change. You will still be loading the drivers.

If it is just a bad memory stick, it is a quick fix and you don't lose anything.

There are a few memory tests free on the web that boot from a CD. That is the first thing I do. If you have a diskette drive it is even easier, simmtester will run off of any bootable diskette (W98 or vanilla DOS) and it is small enough to email

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks. I have Windows Vista, 64bit, I have already had to use my "Recovery Disk" to back to original settings when I bought the computer. Had something happen on 1/15/13 that caused my Quickbooks not to open. Everything else on my computer worked fine. I've went through all the "ropes" trying to get it "fixed", through "Windows forums, Quickbook forums, telephone calls, etc.. etc..." I did finally get my Quickbooks going and restored after "much" headache" I am now having to "update" my computer, reinstall programs etc.. I've learned a lot through this process,so all is not "vain". Just thankful that I got most of my stuff backed up before I had to "restore it". And yes, I did try "System Restore" before I took these drastic measures. Even that would not solve my problem with Quickbooks. Thanks again for your input. I'll probably start going through the updates today if possible.
Steve...
Looks like it going to be an ongoing thing and a slow process with all the other daily "chores" to do. Thanks for the input. Just trying to think this out, before I start doing a lot of things I'm not sure about.

J
JBD Offline
At home I let the auto updates do what ever they want.
On the laptop, I am a little more suspect, I need to approve them.
At work, everything needs permission. I run XP and have limited my IE to ver 8. My Chrome and Mozilla are both kept current.

G
It is still a good idea to get a CD bootable disk clone program and keep a spare drive loaded to mirror your C: They are cheap these days.
Update this periodically when you know things are working well. At this point you might even want a couple of backups, at different times.

To this end it is best to keep your software on C: and things like pictures and videos on a D: drive. That one, just being data files, can more easily be backed up and restored.

Since W/98, they have made software the nightmare you are experiencing. You can't just copy your quickbooks package to another drive. It needs to be "installed" putting all of those hookes into the registry and system folders. That is why I segregate it from data files.

You can even make D: the default drive for work files and documents. Then C: can be pretty small and quick to clone.

Greg Fretwell
S
Seems like my "woes" are not over yet. This is the first time I've been able to get on the internet today. Something is making it hang up. My son done some more troubleshooting; seems to be doing a little better, but still got problems. I had "Norton Security" ( trial version that came with the computer when I bought it) and he uninstalled that, thinking that might be the problem, but it didn't seem to help. In anyone opinion, what is the best Anti-virus program out there? I had the Norton 360 on my computer before it went "bezerk", and thought it was doing a good job, but my son don't think much of it. What are some of your opinions? I'm getting a little more "literate" on computers, but still not a "whiz" at it, so I need all the help I can get. That's why I want a good anti-virus program if I need it. Thanks again...p.s Hope I can get back on here and see your replies:(

G
I suffered with McAfee for years and there were times I thought it WAS a virus. I also hear bad things about Norton AV (gobbles up a big chunk of your CPU resources)so I am not sure there is such a thing as a "good" anti virus program.
The real problem is windoze itself. It is so vulnerable to evil doers that the cure is almost as bad as the disease. (think Chemo therapy).

My wife likes Malware Bytes.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard