ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 581 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
A box of 12 F-40s will last me more than 10 years. Lighting is not a big part of my bill or my footprint on the grid.

Greg Fretwell
H
John,

You talk about the old heavy magnetic ballast and the new lightweight electronic ballasts. Well I didn't realize that you have to rewire the whole fixture when you change from the mag to the elec ballasts. Once I did that the fixture did light up. However the light takes an extra second or two to come on. Is that normal?

Cat Servant
A slight delay is normal.

You usually don't have to re-wire the tombstones, but that depends exactly on the change you're making, and how old the fixture is.

Harold:
I'm sorry I didn't go down that path about the rewire part. I trained my service guys to LOOK at the schematic on the ballast, and follow the colors. The first generation of electronics had quite a few schematics, and it also varied brand by brand.

If you use/install the various 'kits', they have all new sockets (tombstones) already wired, ballast mounted & ready to go.

John
H
John,

Nah! The new ballast I got had nothing with it. It wired it up like I was used to doing and nothing lit up. So I opened everything back up again and re-read the instructions to see that I had to rewire the whole darn light fixture. I had to pull tombstones out, and change all the wirien on each one. Once I did that the light lit up. It just takes about 2 seconds to come on. It is an old 2-light 8' HO light fixture in my garage. It works just delay on that I have to get used to.

OK, Harold; the last ballasts I have seen had a schematic (wiring) on the label. I can't remember seeing any that had instructions. I guess times have changed

John
I heard some time ago that T12 HO lamps weren't being phased out yet.. Just the F40 & F96.

Universal Triad Ballasts have the wiring diagram on the label of most of their stuff... They're still selling F34T12 lamps and ballasts out where I'm at. I have started converting a few troughers over to T8 as the ballasts go out. But T12's are still widely available here from supply house to True Value.

Last that I heard was the F96-T12-CW-HO was only going to be available in the "CT" designation (Cold Temperature)

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard