ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
venki Offline OP
Hi All,
I wanted to know what kind of step down transformer ( in terms of power and capacity / rating) have to be used for the spin-x dryer. The specs are as follows
110V/60hz
power on power: 600w at 8.2 Amps and
runnning power 400w at 5.0 Amps, It has an Induction motor inside.

Thanks in advance
Venki

S
Why not install (or have installed) a dedicated 240 volt line and four-pin dryer receptacle? A transformer will throw out heat, plus it's added bulk.

J
The poster want to step DOWN from 220 to 110. This sounds like it might belong in the UK forum where you have 220.

Well, the "numbers" don't make to much sense to me. Profile has no e-mail, and it says "engineer".
8.2 amps @ 110 volt does not equate to 600 watts
5 amps @ 110 volts does not equate to 400 watts
What is a "spin-x" dryer???
John

John
C
HotLine1:
It's the difference between true power (W) and apparent power (VA). The motor has a power factor of about .66 on starting and .8 running, not unheard of.

Venki:
For the transformer, I would size it for the inrush of the motor (8.2 amps, 900VA), or more and remember overcurrent protection as per Code. A single phase XFMR from one of the usual companies (GE, Square D, Siemens, etc) should work. But, as I think Sven was saying, why not just run a dedicated 110 circuit and elliminate the trouble from all the extra equipment. I would think it should cost about the same (assuming reasonable access).

C
C-H Offline
It's one of those external spindryers they had back in the 1950:s. I thought they disappeared when washing machines with built in spindyers were introduced.
www.spin-x.com

According to the site, this spindryer spins at 3300 rpm. The site tells you that that washing machines spin at only 500 rpm, something I find hard to believe. I remember selling 1200 rpm machines a few years ago, and I think the latest models have 1500 rpm spin. (The integrated washer/dryers have very high rpm, to minimise the load on the dryer part)

I wonder what the clothes look like after a 3300 rpm spin.

S
Oh I remember those!!!!

When I was a child (1980s) some of the coin-op laundries here in New York had something like that. It looked like a HUGE pressure cooker on a pedestal. You'd put a quarter in it and it'd take your clothes for a spin...so it would shorten drying time.

Haven't run across them in years. I used to love hearing those things start up and watch them rattle as they did their thing. They looked scary!!

V
venki Offline OP
Thanks to all who have been replying to my email..
Well I am an engineer but a computer Engineer and Have no practical experience in Electrical field.
Also This spin-x dryer I used it in my APT where we used to wash baby clothes and hang dry them on the clothes line. The Clothes are in a perfect good condition without any damage.
So I guess from all the answer I get ..
Like to get Transformer or 60Hz unit will not work on 50Hz .. Etc etc .. I will have to sell this unit ... I guess I will logon to some auction site and advertise it there..

Thanks all

C
C-H Offline
50Hz? You must be outside North America.

You can get a 1000W step down transformer, but it will cost you at least $100.

V
venki Offline OP
hi..
Well I am in the US and will be moving out in a few months and wanted to take this back with me home where we have 220/240V AC 50Hz.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard