ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207953 12/11/12 02:02 PM
G
How is it going up there?
Are you getting things back together?
What kind of inspections were you getting on houses that got wet inside?
How did they work out? Total rewires, or selective repair?
Did you end up with a lot of tear downs?

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
My personal situation is in the process of being put back together, Mold remediation, all hardwood floors are almost out, subfloor replaced. Very minor elec issues, beside 18 days of no power.

Work wise, the Twp I work for didn't get hit to hard. One apt complex has 50+ apts that are shot, and 14 bldgs in one industrial/office park are hammered bad.

Back to my hometown area, the State provided inspectors to assist the regular Twp guy, as they did for a lot of the affected areas. The insp regimen started with house to house to determine flood or other damage & have the meter pulled before poco restoration to neighborhoods. That was block by block, DCA help, in teams of 2 or 4.

As work is done, inspections are scheduled, and if the load gets heavy, DCA will assist, as I am told.

All I can say is there is going to be work, for quite some time.

Most of my neighbors who had water damages opted for a rewire.

The Industrial park had four pad mount POCO transformers bite the bullet, along with the feeders into the gear in the buildings. Range from 1200 to 2000 amps each. There are three other buildings that are still powerless and in the clean-up stage. One of those has 2x3000 amp services. That bldg had 8' of water inside, and manufactures foam carpet padding.

John
I wonder how Mr. Bill is doing?? The NY area, Staten & parts of Long Islands took a hit also.

He hasn't been 'on' for a while.

John
G
Sounds like things are going to be slow coming back.

We opted for tile just so we would not have that water problem

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Northern NJ, we still have many trees down here with many broken poles. The out of state crews are still here and I think the are going to be released around 12/21/12. I was talking to 1 lineman just last week, he said he was down to an 80 hour work week. It used to be 120 hours that he was working. He said that he was home for a total of 3 days since the storm hit. Most of our residents are fine with power and such. I still have one town that is just getting back on their feet from Hurricane Irene last year. My town of LP. got flooded and many house have been bought out, or some of them were lifted up in the air above flood height. There are about 10 homes in LP that are raised up, so that the flood water will not bother them again. (We hope.)

Greg:
Are you 'on slab' or have a frame floor? Would not water have an effect on your sub-floor if you are 'on frame'?

John
G
Just about everything in Florida is slab on grade. That is why the tile is so attractive. I went as far as to stucco the walls inside and out in my addition, no drywall. That is our storm proof room. (impact windows and doors, tougher than code roof etc).

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard