ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207627 11/12/12 06:51 PM
H
I am back on line,and I already have a question. Any restrictions about putting a receptacle above a suspended ceiling? Is it allowed or not?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
No problem putting in a receptacle above the dropped ceiling. These receptacles can be used for servicing equipment located above the ceiling. You cannot, however, plug in a flexible cord for a piece of equipment that is located above the ceiling and leave it plugged in. A wireless router would be an example.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
H
So a receptacle is OK just don't leave anything plugged into it.

G
Pretty much...I always have problems with the HVAC folks who want to put a plug-in condensate pump above the ceiling tiles and whine that it should be okay because "it's just a tiny little load". I usually tell them that the only guarantee that comes with that statement is that it will "only start a tiny little fire".

Ghost307
G
How do you let them put that pump up there?

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Fire load, smoke load .... Humbug!

IMO, the HVAC condensate pump is a perfect example of where the NEC is simply wrong. Call it extremist, draconian, or misguided.

I disagree with the entire assumption that there can NEVER be a legitimate use of a cord above a suspended ceiling.

Oh, just hard-wire. Yea, right ... even if it were possible to replace the cordset with an MC whip, there'd be howls about 'voiding the listing.'

The HVAC needs a condensate pump. The HVAC is above the ceiling. Is this a back-door attempt to move ban the HVAC from the ceiling void?

An aside ...

Now that Ideal has a funky screwdriver for use on those multi-head screws we see so often, I fully expect some code genius to insist that you can ONLY use the funky driver on the funky heads.

That's where you wind up when you micro-manage.

I've seen a couple places where the FAU/condensate pump was placed above the electrical room which was hard lid (and the only thing hard lid), thus not above the suspended ceiling.

I know the receptacle itself is not a code violation in itself, but I've always been reluctant to install one above T-bar mostly because I know SOMEONE (alarm guy, HVAC, tenant, etc..) will end up using it for things not allowed.

G
Those small condensate pumps are readily available with a whip, but many of the HVAC guys are reluctant to use the right ones the first time around.

Ghost307
G
If you can get them with the MC whip, case closed. I just had never seen one.

Greg Fretwell
That may be a Chicago thing, I have not seen any up here either. I'll ask around next week.

I remember someone saying that there are AHs with a factory single recept installed for a condensate pump; that would solve the problem IMHO.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard