ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207439 10/29/12 08:48 PM
S
Getting ready to do a job that's going to have 6 ground rods according to code. 2 at the main service, 2 at (1) accessory building, 2 at another accessory building; all on the same residential property. Glad I've got my trusty rod driver on my roto drill:)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
pdh Offline
I would have no less.

We have a ground rod attachment to our 90lb jackhammer.. Makes quick work of most of em...

Back in '05 had 705 rods for a major golf tournament. Air chip hammers, B&D Macho hammer drills, did the job. Used two towable compressors, 4 hoses each.

Fun part was to document the locations, and remove each and every one!

John
How did you get them back out? That's a lot of Rods lol

We had a 6" pc of 4" PVC cuts at each location, used orange spray paint, and documented each location on the site drawings. Removal was not really that bad, using the Lull forklifts, a web strap, and a Klien line grip (Chicage Grip) that nicely fit the 5/8" rods. Got them all out within a ten day total period of the teardown. About 50% were 'salvaged' to the event contractor for re-use somewhere else; the rest were mangled and trashed.

The complete teardown (electrical) was completed in 21 days.

John
H
I bought a Bosch electric demolition hammer way back when I was in business and I also bought a ground rod driver. It would drive the ground rods in with ease. In some of my towns. Where the ground was soft and/or had some rock. However where I live, it is almost all rock. It is almost impossible to get a ground rod down 8' every time, on the first try. You would have to stop and pull it out and try again and again. sometimes you would get it down 7' and you couldn't get it out anymore.

S
It's fun driving ground rods in shot rock and have it banana on you and have it come of the ground a couple feet away
crazy

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard