ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#207629 11/12/12 11:29 PM
S
I'm sitting here reading about Motor Trend's car of the year which is the Tesla's model S. it goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and. Looks like really nice and sporty then it it hit me. The car runs on DC and its called a Tesla?...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
"Edison" is not as marketable.

Greg Fretwell
Is that the $105K version of the "S" (85), I didn't see it as COTY, just a test in the Dec 12 issue of MT. The ride they tested was Elon Musk's personal ride.

Yes, I agree, 'Edison' would not be a catchy car brand name. To close to Edsel?

John
S
It was just an observation that gave me a chuckle. Electrician humor laugh

G
GE may still own "Edison" but Tesla was dumb enough to sign away all of his rights to anything.
Tesla was a brilliant scientist but a horrible business man. Edison was just the opposite. Edison's biggest invention was the concept of intellectual property. Most of "his" inventions were actually the work of the people who worked for him.

Greg Fretwell
I ordered a Prius 'C' last month after a fantastic test drive around Mayenne city and a $3000 bribe from the French Gummint and the Salesman. Can't wait! laugh It's due first week in December. The electric motor[s] appear to be sychronous 3 phase, 500+volt with variable frequency, coupled to a 4-pot gas engine. It has an auto box, [ never had one before! sick ] based on a simple one-ring epicyclic gear, driven by electic motors from both sides for a true, non-slip, infinite ratio trans with hardly any parts. That's not a new idea, I think it appeared in US tanks in WWII. Engineers are always borrowing others' good ideas, but Edison simply stole them blind.

Wood work but can't!
Alan:
For what its worth, my township vehicle is a '08 Prius, hybrid, electric/gas engine. It has 29k miles, 98% city and the dash computer reads 38.7 MPG lifetime. There are 20+ in the fleet, along with 10 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2WD SWUVs.

Take care & good luck, & enjoy!!

John
G
I think those hybrids are perfect for a city mix of driving. I am not sure how well it translates to driving on the interstate when the engine will have to run pretty much all the time and there is not much dynamic braking going on.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
I ordered a Prius 'C' last month...
Its a good thing you Are European other wise you would be asked to hand over you "MAN" card. laugh

All kidding aside, gas prices are much worse in Europe then they are in the US and anyway we can save a buck, we do. My wife has a Smart car. Although I would not buy one for myself, they are a blast to drive, rather comfortable, and gets 40mpg in town and 50 on the interstate. It gets up and goes over 100 mph it a short distance. Granted its a detour of the OP but its good info

G
Can you carry a 10' stick of 2" conduit. (all doors closed, windows rolled up) That is my test for a car.

My Prelude can.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard