ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207572 11/07/12 12:51 PM
Cat Servant
Or.... Will the results of last night's election cause you to make changes in your business? If so, what changes?

Layoffs?

Expansion?

Retirement?

New market?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
I think construction will keep growing but there may be a bump in the road if they don't fix the sequester by January.

Nothing really changed.

I do think I would go slow with expansion plans until 1q13 and take a look then. Nov-Dec might be a good time to take your profits in the market. Plan on a 13% or more hike in the cap gains tax. If they do hit the cliff, you will be able to buy back your position at a lower price.

Greg Fretwell
FWIW, over or up here in NJ the restoration/repair/rebuild should generate work. This is a result of the hammering the recent hurricane and the storm today caused.

The rest? IMHO, should be no different than the past. Politics aside.

John
G
Will the union thing have much effect on southern workers coming up there to work. How many shops are closed?

***not looking for opinions, just statistics***

I know we have lots of guys who moved here and might think about coming back for the work.

Greg Fretwell
First off, my hat is off to the linemen from Alabama Power working in my area.

I'll get back on the other item discussion tommorrow AM time permitting.

John
G
While we are tipping hats, Hats off to your governor. He is getting the job done there as best he can, no matter who he makes mad.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Yes CC holds no punches & speaks his mind. He will be all over JCP&L (First Energy) soon. Comm from them is brutal to say the least.

As far as the closed/open shop goes, IBEW has been cooperative AFAIK with respect to the out of state linemen. Its been a tough grind for the carps, sparkies, etc from the union side with construction based on the economic issues. That may get better.

IMHO, there should be no issues open/closed is the areas of the state that I am familiar with.

John
T
The election changed my entire direction.

I'm in California -- and Barry and Jerry are determined to take the construction industry lower.

Between Title 24 and PV cross-subsidies -- they are both making basic electric power too expensive for many retail uses.

Hence, the big push is on to scrap out hot tubs. They now go begging all over CraigsList.

Only the very wealthy can afford to heat them with $ 0.45/ per kW-Hr power -- which is our marginal rate.

I know that reads like a mis-print. It isn't.

Skyrocketing electric bills have killed the residential aftermarket.

Swapping out old bulbs for LEDs means absolutely no work for residential electricians. Mom can do that job.

Tesla
N
Judging from those ballot initiatives in CO and WA, there should be lots of opportunities wiring up rooms full of grow lights...:)

Link Copied to Clipboard