ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wewire2 Offline OP

wow, when was that last updated? 1999?

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
E
I'd say more like 1969. Those prices wouldn't even cover the materials, not to mention the labor.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
The $1000 upgrade was the early 90s here but that was a contracted price. That was what my wife quoted when it was bundled with an HVAC contract. They had a couple of electricians who did these with the A/C company handling all of the permitting, bookkeeping and collections.
I imagine the outlet price is reasonable if you are doing a lot of them at the same time and the walls are open. (no finish work included)
It certainly is ridiculously low for a single outlet call in old work. Fifteen years ago, my rule is I wouldn't start my truck for less than $100.

Greg Fretwell
W
wewire2 Offline OP
I got a little spoiled when things were good and had some
financial rules of thumb also. The slow economy changed that a bit and had to rescind my oath to stay out of residential wiring. The RRP lead safety requirements are
a pain! I'd do a 100 amp service change for $1000. but
that's the only price on the list that's even close to
having a profit margin. Wondering whatever happened to AtticRat? His detailed job adventures were great entertainment.

Half of that $50 for the small stuff would be eaten in gas getting the van to the jobsite.. Fishing wire down walls, crawling through attics or under houses... $70 for 3ways??? possibly on separate floors? crazy Whoever made the list clearly is either working cash under the table (and even then those prices are light..) or has watched too much Bob Vila..

T
twh Offline
Those must be rough in prices when you're already on the job with tools and material.

Originally Posted by wewire2
Wondering whatever happened to AtticRat? His detailed job adventures were great entertainment.
I still call a loop in the cable that snags stuff when you pull the wire a "rat in the cable".

H
I see prices for a 200 amp service going for $1500-$2000 around here. That is when they get permits.

A whole house gen 20 Kw. has been going for $5000-$10000.

M
You know I agree with Lostazhell. I don't think gas is included, or that is a list very easy jobs. I don't see it being worth the time even if it was right next door and even then. But, then again " unenjoyment" is still high.

Last edited by mikethebull; 11/25/12 12:19 PM.
H
Has any one had customers complain when you or a helper has to go back to a supply house to pick up a part for the job? We used to get a call that something was broken or not working. Go to the job, trouble shoot it. Find that you need a new breaker or nicknack that you don't have on your truck. Run to the supply house and then go back to install it. Then find out the customer doesn't want to pay for your time traveling from their house to the supply house and back. They think that that time should be free or not counted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard