ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reno:
IMHO, the problems that are part of the recent storm are not that of the linemen, the out of state crews that arrived here to help, or the hard working support people that are in various depts of the POCO.

Here in NJ, one utility (JCP&L) has a bad track record from past failures, either results of natural issues, or of their equipment being neglected for a long time. That company has been thru three name changes within the last 10-15 years caused by changes in corporate ownership. JCP&L, then GPU, then now back to JCP&L with First Emergy as the corporate owners. The popular consensus here is it's all about the corporate bottom line.

The biggest complaint over the years is...LACK of communications, and outright false information. Tell the people it will be ten days, or whatever...not it will be restored by tonite. Repeat the last comment for many, many tonites.

There are others in areas (Long Island, areas of New York that have issues also, most of which I have no direct knowledge of, perhaps Mr. Bill can add something from his locale.

No pushing anyone around, no ego, just comments from others who are tired of bad communications. It's not like saying I like 7-11 as opposed to Wawa, or Quick Check convenience stores. There is NO choice in POCOs, only choice of who you can purchase the KWs from, but no choice on the delivery system.

Please enlighten me on the "WHO" is that you refer to as restricting the manpower and materials??

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
John, I was referring to the various clowns who appear at every public hearing to protest every request for a rate increase, who object to every power line, who find fault with every method of making electricity.

Prime among these is Ralph Nader's "Public Citizen" group, which has even succeeded in some states - Illinois is one - in adding a second "citizens" group to regulate PoCo's, in addition to the Public Utilities boards.

I also include Senate leader Harry Reid, and his allies - to include the current president as well as Mr. Clinton - who brag of their success in shutting down power plants and denying access to the fuels needed to run them.

I refer to every major media outlet, which is only too happy to allege imperfections at the PoCo, trotting out some sympathy case to sway you.

The result? PoCo rates these days do not allow for anything but 'breakdown' repairs. Forget ordinary maintenance. Various strictures have led to fewer apprentices - meaning fewer linesmen, as the current work force ages.

Well, all that 'concern for the environment' or worry about 'wastefull spending' won't replace a broken transformer.

I'm not letting these 'reformers' off the hook for the miseries they cause.

Reno:
I respectfully disagree with 90% of your responses above.

The road I was going down had no political influence, and my comments above are a general reflection of many of the people in my area, and other areas served by JCP&L.

No politicians are responsible for the poor communications.

Politics aside, let's get this thread back to transfer switches.

John
Cat Servant
Just backfeed an interlocked breaker ......

I just did a service change using Square D Homeline gear. I don't think there is an interlock for them. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, a bit of cord & a plug hanging out the bottom of the box might be all you need for a safe (portable) genny hook-up.

M
Here is a cut sheet for a Square D interlock kit. This what you're thinking of?

http://static.schneider-electric.us...-Homeline-HOM-LK-PK-QOM/40273-809-02.pdf

mbhydro:

Thanks for that link!!

John
Cat Servant
I must be missing something ... that sure looks like a QO breaker, and I can't see how you mount a QO in a Homline panel.

Reno:
I saw the same thing, but looking at page 1, the interlock kit is for QO & Homeline.

Im not fond of the three language instructions, in the three column format.

John
G
If you look at the table, you see 4 different part numbers
QOCGK2 (C) is for the QO interior cover
HOMCGK2 (C) is for the Homeline interior cover
QORBGK2 (C) Is for the QO 3R cover
HOMRBGK2 (C) is for the Homeline 3R cover

Each come back to a different kit but similar enough to use one instruction document.

There does seem to be a lot of profit in this little gizmo. I guess it is how they got back the price of a U/L listing evaluation.

Greg Fretwell
Guess I should have read a little closer & the whole thing!

John
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard